Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Next Friday

"At least it isn't our health" I told my aunt (I should have said "Or the health of anyone we love". 

However, yesterday, while at work, I came out of the credit union to find looking as though he'd been gutted.  He had  blank, gaping, expression mixed with profound shock. 

I ran to him - that's what I do.  I saw a manager was standing nearby. 

"We are shutting down your whole area" I was told.  "And moving your machines.  We don't know where yet but we'll find some place.  In the meantime you are out of business here as of next Friday." 

I imagine I sported a similar expression to Ron's.  Where will they put us? 

Also, per the contract, we are *only* permitted to vend in the cafeteria area.  The other vendor has the contract for the rest of the plant.  I hope he is feeling generous 'cause it looks like we'll be coming into his territory. 

Then I tell myself, who is going to tell Ron "I don't care if you end up in the street.  I'm not sharing."?  How would that make him look?  Would our business consultant allow it?  Hell no. 

We will have plenty of extra business - many construction workers, people from the district, and we have merged operations with the Beaumont plant - they all work out of our plant now.  I know there's enough business to go around. 

Do the other vendors?  That is my primary concern, I think. 

I can say with confidence I would share our area with them, if roles were reversed. 

Ron began having a meltdown so I got the manager away from him.  I told him I looked forward to "hungry construction workers" and was told I have a great attitude.  I mentioned, in passing, Ron was run over by an off-the-clock postal worker. 

I still believe in the concept of a blood debt.  On some level, most people do.  I just mentioned it in passing, didn't beat it, but said "That's why he uses the wheelchair". 

I gave him contact information, showed him our machines, told him the number of machines, and gave him our supervisor's information.  Only state people can move state equipment. 

Wherever it ends up. 

No comments: