Wednesday, September 25, 2013

I'm going back!

I'm going to talk about a dirty little secret in evangelism: discouragement.

Unlike people who put on crusades or do altar calls, I have no idea if my work has borne any fruit. Rarely someone will tell me I already gave them a Bible. Usually they are smiling, and I tell them I will continue to pray for them daily. They say thank you. That's it.

So, sometimes I wonder if it's meaningful or just an exercise God uses to keep me humble and obedient.

Humble, you may ask? Yeah, like when the carload of guys waved me over, acting eager. I ran over with the Bibles and they put up the window, laughing at my disappointment.

Humble - like when the guy stopped his car dead in the intersection and said "I have to get a photo for Facebook". I felt very odd, but I smiled as he took the photo and posted it. I had an orange shirt, vest, and sign, so if you see it put up a link. I kind of felt like a zoo animal even though he was really nice.

Then I stood there and stood there and no one wanted a Bible. Ron had to change the pickup time. I really wondered it God even wanted me doing the handouts.

And it started, people backing up out of left turns, to get a Bible, because they changed their mind.

Gang members walking over, and wanting Bibles for their friends, too.

3 young men, about 12, walking down the sidewalk, stopped and gaped. I waved them over and smiled. They came over and I grinned as I gave them each a Bible.

I always tell the recipients I am praying for them daily, and I do. I see it as a sacred thing.

I had a woman wearing a very low cut top, showing most of her chest. She had a name tattoo across "the girls". She wanted a Bible, she got it.

It was great. I wasn't super busy but I could tell these were the RIGHT people; who would value and read their Bibles, who would smile as they thought of me praying for them.

God made them all. It didn't matter if they had gang 'tat's, broken teeth, no teeth, gold teeth. It doesn't matter what they may have done, God loves them and Jesus died for them.

I did have a problem.

After the handout people kept hunting me down and asking for Bibles! I had to tell them I was out, but I'd be back.

Boy, will I. Insane distribution today.

Please, please, pray for the recipients.

No comments: