Sunday, September 15, 2013

Quality time

If I didn't know better, I'd think Ron was spoiling me!   My love language is quality time. 

He took me out for Mexican food yesterday (boy, the place was packed, it's a good thing we had an hour!), and frozen yogurt today. 

I had a pretty bad headache on Saturday, but we went out anyway.  I had the omlette (bacon, ham, cheese, no onions or peppers), and 5 tortilla chips with hot sauce.  Somehow, that hot sauce can work on my brain and short out a headache. 

It was pretty nasty.  I had an appetite, though, and murdered the entire omlette.  Ron had Chilaquiles Nortenos.  The servers are always impressed when I order that for him. 

Ron's one of those, "What do I like, honey?" guys.  He forgets the nortenos so I correct him, to his pleasure. 

Now, Ron eating is quite a sight.  Ron lost the use of his right side in the accident.  He can walk around the house OK, leaning on walls and such, but his right hand usage was destroyed.  He can't type and he certainly can't use it to eat. 

In high school, I always liked left-handed guys.  I find it funny that Ron became a leftie. 

So, Ron, not that good with knife and fork with the dominant hand, eats his food barehanded.  With the left hand. 

We don't do fine dining for obvious reasons; and I always point him at a corner.  I don't notice.  I focus on my food and his face as we talk. 

When we visit with my family (about the only people Ron cares to impress), he always orders finger food or limps through it with a knife and fork. 

No one has ever said anything to us, probably because they can see Ron has profound physical problems, and a very obvious "head injured" forehead scar (kind of like a skid mark).  Plus, your average taqueria is pretty simple neighborhood family dining. 

Ron ate my beans and french fries, then he ate his.  Stuffed, he asked me to get him a takeout box for his food.  I did, after I finished killing the omlette. 

I love the taqueria because they give me a huge bucket of soda - the cups are huge, nearly 2 quarts.  We had a lot of fun and went home. 

I took a nap.  Torbie loves to sleep with me in my bed.  She's so much fun for both of us.  Ron adores her and gives her too many cat treats. 

Then I checked the mail, I got my "Lord's Prayer" stainless steel ring.  I like it.  It sits on my hand, I don't notice it.  It is pretty.  The actual prayer is very hard to read but that's OK.  It only cost me $10, and a place holder until I get into a smaller ring. 

No problems washing my hands.  It's a little snug but that's fine.  I'm happy.

We also got Ron's proof of Metrolift renewal stuff.  Good. He just got an annual pass so we're good for a while. 

Today we stayed home (Ron's request).  I slept too late and got another headache, but I was down a pound.  I can live with that. 

I just had the horrible thought: I recently got some meat sticks.  Smoked pork.  They are really good.  They might be linked to the headaches.  No meat sticks tonight! 

Baby Girl has been keeping me busy, too.  I try to play with her around sunset because cats are crepuscular - active during dusk and dawn.  Her energy level and play drive go way up.  I try to accomodate. 

We generally start off with the laser, and run up and down my 30-foot hallway a few times.  Then as she pants, I run the laser in circles around her.  When she tires of that, I get out the teaser wand and encourage her to make high jumps in the air.  When done, she collapses, looking exhausted and completely innnocent.  THEN I stop. 

If I don't keep her busy, I hear these awful squeaks from Tobie, who becomes the toy.  She can generally flip Baby Girl over and get her to stop, but I'm not going to let my baby suffer. 

Torbie is interested in play, but not really engaged.  I remember she has outside access, toys in the house, and Baby Girl when she wants a playmate (I do find them wrestling and clearly wanting to).  She will watch the laser, paw it a few times, watch the teaser go by her paws, but that's it. 

However, if I wanted another high energy, playful kitten, I would have adopted one.  I'm totally happy with a big lump. 

Yesterday, I wrote a tract, which will become another post.  Today I finished the editing and printed a single copy.  It was 2 pages.  Today, we got it made into double sided tracts.  Then we went out for frozen yogurt. 

Ron had liked the sugarfree Strawberry Banana, so I got him some with cashews.  He loved it, rated it a "10", and got seconds.  He even used a spoon! 

I went with the plain unsweetened - I got more than last time.  I was fine eating it before so I assume I am fine eating it this time.  This will probably be my "cheat meal" for the next 2 months.  I loved it. 

We had a nice time talking.  Then we went to our pickup location and came home. 

Ron's taking a nap.  That was a big meal for him (with lots of PROTEIN!). 

I'm just relaxing.  Tomorrow we have a lot of running around. 

No comments: