Friday, May 24, 2013

"Don't play in the street!"

I brushed my teeth as I got ready for the handout.  I want to have a nice smile.  I did realize I couldn't do anything about the Dr Pepper breath. 

I love to drink my Diet Dr Pepper during the handouts. 

I had the signs, Bibles, snacks, drinks, you name it.  Ron wore a blue t-shirt.  We work in "Bloods" territory - but no one shot him.  I wore my usual loud orange t-shirt, safety vest, sneakers, and denim Bermuda shorts. 

Enough about that.  Our ride was late and she had a NASTY attitude, talking on the cell phone the whole time.  Then she wanted to let us off at the far corner of the parking lot.  She didn't understand what we needed until I got out and walked over, waving.  She left. 

No other driver has had that difficulty.  Ron put it under "spritual warfare".  I agreed. 

We got set up on the median, but it was pretty quiet.  Then a young man came running over, out of breath.  He thought the Handouts were great, we were great for doing them, shook our hands, and got a picture.  If I can, I'll put it up. 

I brought my "Free Bibles!   God loves you!" sign.  People seemed to like it.  I'd also brought the CD's, which were very popular with the recipients.  I gave away all 18 in about 45 minutes, along with Bibles. 

Well, I gave one to a young man who said he had a Bible.  I thought he might like some music.  He did.   He asked if he could buy one of my sodas, I gave him one. 

I was handing out 1-2 Bibles at a time,  ev ery few minutes.  It was overcast, muggy and breezy.  I resolved to use a headband next time to control my hair. 

It took a while, but it got interesting.  As always, Spanish was hugely popular and "sold out" first.  Happily I had brought my Spanish Gospels of John so I could give them something. 

I had gangster types, happy to get a Bible.  I love that.  They were very open when I offered it with a smile.  I told everyone I'd be praying for them daily, and I do.  They're prayed for before I even meet them. 

I had several people going the other way, who pulled over and waited for me to come to them.  I did, of course.  Ron stopped a large delivery truck while I was stuck on the wrong side of the street (someone wanted a Bible, and right as they got it, the light changed). 

As the cars honked furiously, I'd dart out of the way, hearing Dad in the back of my head yelling "Don't play in the street!"  Sorry, Dad.  That happened more often than I'll admit. 

I try to be careful and check the light when I run into the street. 

I had several pedestrians.  They're always fun. 

I had plenty of people who said no and made it pretty clear they didn't appreciate the offer, but that happens on every handout. 

I did have a wonderfully appreciative bunch of recipients, everyone said thank you, meant it, very appreciative, sweet, even the scary looking guys with the gang "tats" all over their necks and hands.  One lady got out of her car and hugged me.  I thought that was great.  Another couple tracked me down after the handout (that's happened on my last two).  They wanted to pray with us.  I thought that was great. 

"Keep up the good work" a few people told me.  I also had people honking and pumping a fist in approval.   One laid on the horn as they drove by in the opposite direction, a thumbs-up sticking out a back window. 

I had a lot of people, baffled, that I wanted to give them a Bible, but happy to take it.  I had people trying to give me money. 

One lady was very persistent.  I grinned as I told her:  "They'll arrest me, and who will take care of him?"  She laughed and drove away. 

And, I had something wonderful.  Two different women, came BACK for more Bibles.  One lady had friends come to visit.   "They were there when I got home, and I want to give them all Bibles".  Another, in a Lexus, came back to get Bibles for a friend in the car. 

I can just imagine that conversation  "Look, a crazy white lady gave us Bibles on the corner!"  "What?  I don't believe it!"  "Take a look, see?"  "Oh, that looks nice, I want one for myself!"  Well, she got 2, one for her, one for the boyfriend. 

We had started around 6 PM, as it got later things became more diverse, and I had more business.  I was finally down to my last 8 Bibles.  I told Ron "God can send someone to come get all 8 at once, if He wants."  Ron scoffed. 

I saw a repeat customer.  She rolled down her window.  "Can I get 8?" 

It was the lady who'd had the unexpected guests.  We were finished! 

Ron and I furtively rolled up our signs.  Once or twice someone has come by wanting Bibles after I gave them all away (I always hold a few back, now). 

We went to the gas station.  We had to wait an hour.  I'm pretty sure I smelled someone smoking something illegal.  It had a very bad, non-organic smell.  I also saw two drug transactions.  A day laborer tried to give us money. 

I love Acres Homes. 

No comments: