Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Bible Handout

I broke my toe 2 days after a Bible Handout. 
My house was robbed 6 days after a Bible Handout. 
My cat died 10 days after my last Bible Handout. 
I was a little twitchy about this one. 

We seem to have the same driver for the same type of trip.  The lady who takes us to work.  The guy who takes Ron to the liquor store.  The guy who picks us up from Sam's Club. 

Today, we had "The guy who takes us to Bible Handouts".  He has taken us to a couple.  He liked my shirt.  After dropping us, he watched for a little bit and then left. 

Our ride was half an hour late.  We were supposed to get there at 4.  We ended up there at 4:35. 
I didn't have a lot of Bibles, "only" about 50, plus my Spanish Gospels of John.  They are very compact and pack easily, and if I run into a Spanish speaker I can at least give them that. 
I had 4 whole Spanish Bibles, too.  Boy, those were gone muy rapido.  Within 3 minutes - poof! 
I had some fun recipients.  A very professional, aloof-looking Asian guy - but he signalled so I ran over there and gave him a Bible.  He said thank you. 

I never know who I'll encounter.  I had some of my favorites  "The SUV is full of people and everyone wants a Bible".  I had people with reading age children, asking for one Bible, and I'd give them two, one for them, one for the child.  I had some very lively young woman who all wanted Bibles. 

I had a couple people who wanted to give me money.  One had a Christian Fish on the back of her car.  I asked them to pray for "everyone who got a Bible today" and they were happy to help.

One SUV rolled up the window, quickly, as I approached, treating me like some kind of toxic cloud.  I thought it was funny. The Gospel should be infectious.  If it isn't, I am failing as a Christian. 

It is sad to see the people who say no to a Bible.  Some of them already have one, they make a hand gesture or tell me so.  Some are very apathetic and shake a head slowly.  It reminds me of the demon "Apathy" in "This Present Darkness"  Some glare at me while making a "get away" gesture.  Some ignore me completely, so still and rigid, facing forward, I know they see me but they aren't ready yet.  Some are so into the handheld they never even see me.  Some laugh at me, but kindly, and then wave me away. 

Most of the people who point, laugh, or both do take a Bible.  Small price to pay.

I also had some people crossing the street.  I was able to give each of them a Bible.

Pretty soon, I was done! 

Yay! 
I pushed Ron over to the gas station (he always uses his wheelchair).  One of the recipients tracked me down and asked for another Bible, but I was O-U-T out.  He was nice, but asked me if I was sure.   I did dredge up a Josh McDowell testimony booklet and gave them that.  He finally "let" us go. 

I left Ron outside the gas station as I went in to get a snack and soda.  While I was in there, a woman attempted to give him money!  Of course he said no. 

Then I took him to the fried chicken place.  He's happily gobbling right now. 

We had a great ride home. 

Now, it's my favorite time: Time to pray for the recipients!

No comments: