Monday, May 13, 2013

Don't mess with Texas blind vendors in a wheelchair

Ugh.  I hate drama.  Drama overload.

Since they closed the deli (for poor sales, and that's when the economy was doing fine), various people have brought in meals to sell.  I'm not wild about it, but I understand that's going to happen. 

It's a free market society.  Some people would rather have a warm piece of meat and mashed potatoes, than a cold sandwich and a bag of chips.  I turn a blind eye, if you'll pardon the pun.  We can't stop everyone.  Most people try to cater meals, realize it isn't worth the trouble, realize no one wants to pay what they'd have to charge, and give up. 

However, BJ took it a little too far.  She formed a "secret" Facebook group years ago.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's mainly her personal forum for politics and who died.  She complains, a lot, about politics and puts up "new agey" stuff.  About a year, year and a half ago, she started promoting her "Barbeque" business.  She and her husband bought one of those big smoker trucks. 

I hate it when people let emotions color their testimony, so I will keep this as matter of fact as possible. 

She started by doing "Charity fundraisers". One employee got sick and needed money to pay for living expenses.   That was her introduction to selling her BBQ plates at work. 

Now, in a perfect world I woudln't care about the meat.  Assuming I knew without a doubt the meat was cooked to standards, and I know for a fact it is not.  It is seasoned and cooked, but the foodhandlers don't wear hair coverings, etc.  It is probably time/temperature abused FDA link on pathogens  - that can come back onto us. 

However, I was still willing to overlook because it's going to happen, they're all adults, and if anyone is dumb enough to buy a sandwich from someone who doesn't understand food safety, they can enjoy the result. 

Cynical but honest.  Then a neighbor boy accidentally killed his brother in a gun accident.  She did another "fundraiser" for the family.  About that time people started asking, in the group, about future sales. 

That's what I believe she wanted.  I believe that was her plan the entire time.  I was STILL OK with it. 

Until she started making "combos", and using the group to promote. 

This is a good time to mention her husband works there too, and at minimum, they make at least $70K a year.  That's far more. 

So, I checked with Ron.  At the end of the day, it's his baby.  He was pretty upset, and told me it was fine to write her a note asking her to stop. 

I did just that.  I started by asking how much money she made, then stated how much we made.  Then I got into some details - we only operate a few machines, etc.  I went to how her "business" is hurting mine and we really need the money.   I told her I understood she didn't like God much but could she please at least consider what "karma" might bring if she took business from a crazy woman with brain damage and a blind man in a wheelchair? 

I told her Ron wanted to report her to sales tax and the health department (she later claimed she had papers from both - which I doubt because of the photo she posted of her daughter violating several food safety rules while "seasoning" the meat), but we weren't willing to do that yet.  Yet. 

She sent me a message - oh, I had leftovers from this weekend (EW!  Time temperature abuse!).   I have papers from sales tax and the health department.  Sorry business is down.  Nothing about stopping. 

I also had the bitter thought, if she had leftovers then why is she marketing them with chips and a drink?  You have to go buy the chips, chill the drinks, etc. 

So, I told her, I am copying all this to our supervisor.  I will ask you point blank, are you going to keep selling these combos, in violation of the contract? 

It took her about 10 minutes to reply "no". 

Our supervisor is still reporting her to plant management. 

Edit: she unfriended me.  Good riddance. 

No comments: