Saturday, September 30, 2017

If You Don't Ask...handout

I awoke to find 3 cases of Bibles on the porch.  That's not uncommon for me.  I give out my address, people buy them and ship them.  They are confident their money went to Bibles, I distribute, the recipients get Bibles. 

Probably my favorite time was when Biblica decided to put a ton of New Testaments on clearance, for a quarter each.  I bought hundreds of them (with my money).  I had cases all over the place.  I think I have a photo of a stack of New Testaments taller than my head. 

I still have a couple cases left, but I gave most of them away. 

So, I brought in the Bibles.  If you want to kill me with a mail bomb label it as Bibles and I will bring it right in the house and open it.  However, Torbie got out.  Here I am, wearing my lurid yellow bathrobe (that thing could blind Ron, if he wasn't blind already), chasing her all over the yard.  I get her in the house.  And bring in another case of Bibles, and she runs out again.  I'm running around in my bare feet chasing her, she finally had mercy on me and went inside. 

Next time I will put the cats in the bedroom before I bring in the Bibles. 

Ron and I went out to breakfast.  He didn't eat, he's on a diet.  I had a hearty meal with some deliciously, perfectly, cooked bacon.  We came home. 

I got my stuff together, cart, bungees, and the Bibles.  Unlike my usual Handout, I didn't bring the collapsible crate.  The Bibles were already stored in their boxes and didn't need anything.  The cases were heavy (I had 2 English and one Spanish), and it took a little maneuvering to get the cases stacked and strapped. 

I got a water bottle for myself and my pink safety vest.  Everyone at the FEMA center has an orange safety vest so I thought the pink would be original, and safe.  I got my trusty sign and put that in my shoulder bag. 

I keep Bibles in my hand, two whole Bibles is about my limit before my hand cramps.  If someone wants more than 2, or Spanish, I dive into the shoulder bag and fish them out.  It works well. 

I've been doing this for 7.5 years. 

So, everything is ready to go.  I have my water bottle and I took my salt tablets.  Ron called a cab.  And no one came.  No one came.  Ron called again. 

Finally, we got a call, the cab was coming.  It was Mike.  We know him pretty well.  He showed up, surprised at my gear, and we loaded.  I had to take the straps off the Bibles, on the cart, because it was way too heavy (almost 80 pounds) to lift into the vehicle. 

He saw one of the Bibles, and admired it.  I gave him one.  He asked me where I got my Bibles.  I explained (basically online), but told him Lifeway in Houston has a lot of nice evangelism Bibles for very low prices. 

"I think I'll get some, and put them in the cab for people." He said.  A cab is a great ministry opportunity, when you think about it.  Lots of people, some of them at a reachable moment. 

We went to the mall.  They didn't have the big lines like they did the other day.  I saw some people standing in line but they weren't near the shelter area.  I decided to go to the nearest appropriate corner, "Northchase" and Greens Road.  It was about a half mile from the shelter. 

We unloaded at the bank, I got everything strapped again, paid Mike (no one works for free) and saw a Red Cross truck pull up.  They were getting ready to serve a big meal to people down the road.  I asked if I could go and they said I wasn't allowed in the truck (of course).  I got the feeling I was supposed to be working Northchase anyway, so I went with that.  The people wanting to go to the meal had to drive past me on my corner. 

I set up.  It was pretty slow, but some of the recipients were very interesting.  One man had wildly dilated eyes, twitching in his seat, but he yelled "Free Bibles?"  I went over and he asked for a couple.  I gave them to him, wondering what he will think of them when he comes down.  I smelled pot at least 4 times, and two of the smokers wanted Bibles. 

At one point a woman stopped dead in the middle of the street, going the wrong way, to get a Bible.  That happened several times.  Usually, the car behind them began honking angrily.  One time, the car behind didn't.  I blew them a kiss and mouthed "Thank you".  Then she got to me and wanted a Bible! 

Spanish people were thrilled to get Bibles.  Some of them wanted an English Bible for the kids, and a Spanish for themselves.  I know enough Spanish to tell them I have Spanish, and "How many?" 

I gave away over half the Spanish by the time I finished.  In fact, after the handout, two recipients chased me down in their car, yelling for Bibles.  I got them set up (This is why I never give "everything" away if I can help it, people tend to find me, after). 

I saw a lot of cabs, one of whom actually gave me my ride home. 

I mainly gave the Bibles out by twos.  One guy wanted "As many as you've got" but the light changed and he left.  I figured God would send him back if it was meant, but it didn't. 

A couple people asked me for directions to the meal, and I pointed. 

I had some pedestrians walk up on me and ask for Bibles.  I had plenty more who just ignored me. 

Most of the cars, I would say 95%, ignored me.  No one laughed at me this time, though, at least not that I could see. 

It was pretty hot, I drank all my water (a quart) and got a little wilty.  A few minutes later a man said "You already gave us Bibles, we'd like to give you a bottle of water!"  I took it. 

I am a little baffled because I didn't give him Bibles today, it must have been a previous Handout. 

I had a lot of young black men asking for Bibles, and some young black women.  The rest were white (mixed men/women) and Spanish (mixed men/women).  Some people had to open the door because the window didn't work. 

I didn't see anyone who overtly looked like a flood victim but all the recipients were happy to get the Bibles. 

I don't know how long I was out there, a couple of hours I think, but I gave away all the English Bibles (80 of them) and half-to-most of the Spanish (20-30). 

After I finished, I went to the Jack in the Box.  I got a shake and a drink.  Ron called a cab.  The cab computer put it out as a wheelchair trip.  A Spanish guy about my age took it. 

"Oh, yeah, I saw you on the corner"  He asked about what I do.  I told him "Do you have any Bibles left?"  Yes, I do.  I got him set. 

We got home fast and he unloaded the cart.  I threw away the cardboard (I think it is a bad witness to dispose of a lot of trash in a public trash can, when I can take it home), and came in the house. 

All done. 

Now, I am thinking about taking some Scripture Booklets to the next time they have long lines at the FEMA center, and hand those out to people in line.  The booklet is very small and fits in a pocket.  Not only that I think I have some Spanish (World Missionary Press sends them out for free). 

While I am there, I can talk to the shelter people and see if I can bring some Bibles.  The Red Cross man was very nice today and seemed interested in what I do, so they might let me. 

Like my Dad always says "If you don't ask, the answer's always no." 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay, Heather! You go, Girl!You are up for a soul winner's crown for sure! God bless you lots! I pray for you every day.

Unknown said...

I am so glad you got out to do something that fills YOUR bucket good for you ! OOOXXX

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your handouts. You are so awesome