Saturday, January 21, 2017

The sinkhole

#19 apparently (they are Mexican) had an inauguration party last night.  I heard music and singing until pretty late, but it was apparent they were "trying" to be quiet so I didn't complain.  Then the weather system rolled in, severe rain that had me worried about flooding. 

I actually got out of bed at one point and had a look outside.  The street was wet, but not flooding.  I went back to bed. 

I woke up exhausted and depressed.  I didn't take a shower, do my God Time or do anything other than feed Biscuit, eat my protein bar, and take my meds.  Well, I got dressed. 

We went to the warehouse and got our supplies.  I went a little light on the snacks.  I figure things are quieter now and that's something we can get on paratransit, if need be.  I have 34 square feet of storage in my stockroom, so I have to make sure it's stuff I need to stock RIGHT NOW. 

I have some stuff in the stockroom already. 

Jack came and got us, we had a nice ride to work.  I talked to him about the pig.  The other day, on the way home in a cab, I saw a large pig standing on the sidewalk, by the mailbox. 

I wasn't sure if I was having an "episode" or what.  So I asked the driver if he saw a pig.  He said yes, he did, and wasn't it big? 

I gazed at the large black pig, trotting after his (?) master.  I heard rumors of a house with a pig back on Halloween but I didn't believe it.  I certainly wouldn't have guessed it was that large. 

I'm sure pigs make great pets but I have a deep and abiding love of pork products.  It just goes to show, you never know what's going on behind that closed door. 

I'm sure someone in my subdivision is making love right now, someone else is having a fight, and someone else is changing a diaper. 

We got to work, unloaded, got everything in the building.  I helped Ron, mainly, because snacks really didn't need much.  I stocked a few things but not much. 

We came home.  As we passed the corner, I saw sidewalk sections sticking up in the air.  I got off the vehicle and walked back to look at the mess. 

3 sections of sidewalk caved into a sinkhole, apparently caused by last night's rain.  There's a great view in the hole: tree roots, rushing water, and broken sidewalk sections. 

I was so glad I hadn't walked on that section of sidewalk.  The last time I checked the mail I noticed a large puddle, where it didn't used to collect.  I walked around it (the sinkhole growing underneath) and on the grass instead.  It's a good thing.  That could have caved in with me right in the middle of it. 

Now I can't check the mail for the next couple days, until they get all that fixed.  It's a huge safety issue.  Right now they just have it roped off with caution tape, a perimeter drawn with spray-paint a few feet out from the sinkhole, with NO NO NO written all around it. 

Yeah, that'll work.  Especially with little kids. 

We called it in of course, and they have a guy out there right now, on a weekend night.  It's over by #2 so we called her, but she already knew.  She told us she has a nice family of 3, no dog (praise God), moving in when they get the house ready.  It's good to be on good terms with her. 

We went in the house.  I felt pretty grubby and decided to take a shower when I got up from my nap. 

I had about 3 hours to nap if I wanted to do that.  I laid down. 

#6 has several kids, a teenage boy, a preteen girl, 3 children, and a toddler.  The toddler was in fine form today, having a screaming tantrum right outside my bedroom wall.  So much for my nap.  I went back to sleep, she acted up again. 

I don't envy parents.  That's why I never wanted kids.  Too much work. 

I finally got up and took my shower.  I got some new soap a while back, Zest Shea and Cocoa butter.  Sounds nice, huh?  It feels nice, does the job of getting me clean without drying my hands out like that rose soap did.  However, the fragrance is ghastly.  I hate it.  They should have gone with a cocoa butter, vanilla, or buttercream fragrance, because the existing one is nasty, like rotting flowers with some tub cleaner thrown in. 

I'll have to get something else, maybe some Dove or Dial, I like the gold fragrance. 

A utility guy just went in my backyard to look at the telephone box.  At least, I assume he is.  He was dressed like one, carrying utility guy equipment.  He is working away at the back of the house. 

Apparently the sinkhole cave in took out some utility lines. 

We don't have At&T anyway.  Their tech support made me cry so I went to cable internet. 

I got up and took my shower, happy the water was still working, especially considering the water rushing at the bottom of the sinkhole.  I got dressed, Ron got dressed, and we went out to our ride. 

He was late, and Ron was very upset to hear we had another pickup.  Even more upset when the guy didn't even come out.  We had a circus trying to get the guy's trip cancelled so we could get on to our destination. 

We finally shook them loose, but we would only have 20 minutes to eat.  That's no good.  It would take half that amount of time to cook the food.  The driver got that fixed. 

Ron had a tantrum all the way to the destination, but was happy to find out we still made it there early.  I kept things light by talking to the driver about the cats.  He was actually interested. 

We ate and had plenty of time to do so. 

He picked us up and took us home, and I saw a utility truck out in front of #2.  Glad to see they are taking this "serious".  A little while ago, another utility worker asked for permission to access my backyard.  So some serious damage, it looks like. 

Both utility workers looked completely stressed. 

Ron says we might get some more rain tonight, which will spell a real disaster for the sinkhole. 

This is totally selfish, but thank  God that mess isn't in my yard! 

Biscuit was absolutely terrified by the utility worker.  Poor baby doesn't trust anyone but me and Ron.  I hope we get raptured, or he dies before I do.  He would have a terrible time in a new home, especially one with small kids. 

Torbie slept with me last night, hogging the center of the bed.  She knows I won't move her. 

Here's to hoping I get a better night's sleep tonight. 

No comments: