Thursday, June 19, 2014

Not so paranoid after all

I need to look something up.

Well, I don't think I have paranoid personality disorder.  But I do get a little squinty sometimes. 

Our ride to church bought a new vehicle - "One that won't fit Ron's wheelchair.  As long as he's using it, you need to find another ride." 

I just find the whole thing depressing. 

I got a little twitchy over the "as long as he's using it".   I'm not finishing that thought. 

Ron is, in my book, a real man.  He is in tremendous pain everytime he uses the bathroom because he has to hobble, hunched over, holding onto the counter.  The current wheelchair does not fit through the door.  Getting up is extraordinarily painful for Ron. 

So much so, he urinates into a big bottle with a screw-on cap.  When he *has* to make a trip, he takes it along, empties it, and washes it out.  [Ron gave me permission to share] 

The current bottle's a 2 quart cranberry, leftover from my bladder infection.  It's far better than a conventional "urinal".  Traditional urinals will spill if tipped over.  Ron is blind.  He has mobility issues.  You get it.  I could throw the bottle out the window and it wouldn't spill.  No, I don't know that... 

Happily things are accessible, everywhere but home.   Men do like to use the handicapped stall at work, though, which he finds frustrating.  He's the only man in a wheelchair. 

Today, after we got home, we ordered a Harbor Freight wheelchair.  Ron knows the current chair has lower handles, which makes it harder for me to push.  The old Harbor Freight wheelchair (Ironsides), had wonderful high handles in the back.  It is a little rough riding but it's also welded steel.  It's VERY rugged.   It also has a bar in the back.  When I'm bumping Ron over a curb or our threshold, I push down with my foot on the bar, which raises the front wheels, making it easier. 

Ron and I agree, we're very glad we can get it; but I think we both wish he didn't need it.  Which is why I got a little wierd reading the message "as long as he's using it". 

Here's a link:  http://www.harborfreight.com/24-inch-foldable-wheelchair-67437.html

Here's a photo: 

Anyway, I just told Ron, maybe we need to think about going to another church - same "denomination", but in the service area so we don't have to depend on anyone other than paratransit.  I'm going to get the address. 

Edit: only 4 miles travel difference, and no waiting for an hour in the middle.  Hm.  Liking it. 

No comments: