Friday, June 20, 2014

God helps those who help themselves

I'm pretty excited to try the "other" church in our area. 

Houston is huge, population 4 million, about 1.4 million households.  It's also home to 4 Calvary Chapels.  Three are out of the Metrolift service area, which necessitates someone picking us up at the edge and taking us a couple miles to church.

As I mentioned, our primary ride bought a vehicle that "won't work" anymore.  I'll take that at face value. 

"You'll have to find another ride."  He practically lives at church, but I'll have to do it.  OK.  Taking that at face value, I posted on Facebook.  I know for a fact I have at least 5 people from the church. 

I posted this:
Ron and I need a ride from the Starbucks at (location), to the church, on Sundays at 10:30. Ron is in a wheelchair but I fold it and put it away. He can get into pretty much anything but a big rig. A ride to church, on paratransit, is currently about 5 hours round trip. Thanks.

Crickets. 

They did post about sports, and an evangelism event they're doing tonight.

I couldn't even get us a ride when Ron could walk - I tried desperately to get a ride from the house to the church.  It's disheartening. 

I should mention a chunk of my teenage years were devoted, every Sunday, to picking up a blind lady at her home and traveling to church every Sunday for the service.  Someone else gave her a ride home.  Mom and Dad were happy to do it, and said it was our duty to help those less fortunate. 

Ron and I don't want to be crippled.  We'd love to drive ourselves around.  But we can't, and sometimes we need help. 

Well, I thought, God helps those who help themselves. 

So, I decided, if we can't go to that one, why not try the one that is in the service area?  I looked it up.  It's only 4 miles farther than our current trip.  Hm.

I told Ron.  He was a little uncertain.  I played a sermon for him.  We both liked it.  Salvation message - check.  Wanting to reach the unreached, and passionately so - check.  Accountability to Bible - check.  We know the "denomination" and they're great. 

I think we'd love it.  I'm not certain what we're doing, but I think Ron will consider attending. 

It'll be nice to be independent on our transportation.  It's near a pretty grim area that would be awesome for Bible Handouts. 

I'm not even mad, just a little frustrated and very disappointed.  If Dad could get a wife and two teenagers into the Maxima, and go miles out of the way to pick up the blind lady... 

No comments: