Thursday, June 12, 2014

Hair musings

People love my hair long.  I get loads of compliments. 

I find it's easier to care for long hair, than short, when depressed.  Short hair, I have to wash every day and trim every month. 

Long hair, I can go every other day (especially in the winter), and I don't need to trim it at all.  I buy a package of elastics every year or so (the coated ones).  When an elastic is overly stretched or showing the "rubber", I throw it out.  Easy. 

So, I'm keeping it long.  I don't love it so much in the summer, but if I remember (not often), I can clip it up on the back of my head, a popular hairstyle for long-haired women in Houston. 

I can play with it when I'm manic, or leave it simple when depressed. 

Let's go to color: nice burgundy with orange roots.  Inevitable when using henna on grey hair, which apparently means the roots at my part are a whole lot of gray. 

However, when the roots grow out it's depressing: burgundy hair fading to orange, with grey/brown roots.  When I'm battling a depression, or really busy at work, I don't have time to color. Or the energy. 

And then I'm stuck with burgundy hair with roots.  I'm of 2 opinions: color when I can, or just let it grow out. 

It will look awful growing out.  I hate the look of greying hair growing out after a dye job.  I think it looks ghastly. 

But I don't want to dye it all the time.. (whining).  I don't want to be a dye slave. 

Henna and dye are used interchangably here - because, as I've discovered, henna is permanent when you do it "right".  I did it "wrong" before (no lemon juice, left on for half an hour) and it always washed out. 

Ugh. Decisions. 

No comments: