Tuesday, June 17, 2014

"The Great Evangelist"

Someone once called me that, sarcastically, while in the process of judging me. 

I don't even need to defend myself.  I have always said: anything good you see in me is God.  Anything that isn't is me. 

If you "see" a Bible Handout, God gets the credit.  He's the one who put the idea in my head.  It was very loud. 

I just went. 

Last night I got the itch to do another Bible Handout.  Ron was surprisingly agreeable.  Normally, he gives a vehement refusal.  "If God wants it done" he'll rail "He can do it Himself." 

I often end up on the bus with a handcart.  That sucks.

The Bibles weigh probably 50 pounds minimum.  The bus stop is half a mile away.  I have to get it up and down off the bus. 

Last night, though, Ron just asked when I'd like to go, and didn't even quibble about the duration.  Wow.  God working in him.   Awesome. 

I did up about 100 Bibles, a couple handfuls of kiddie Scripture booklets, and 10 or so Gospel Rap CD's.  The artists gave me permission to burn and distribute CD's.  

A friend of mine is up north, around a lot of devastation.  God's been working on me, for that.  Today I did up about 50 NT and found a sturdy box.  I'll be shipping those to her, tomorrow.  She's happy to hand them out.  I'm delighted to participate in any way. 

I just want people to meet God in a meaningful way, to have His word to hang onto during this horrible time.  That's all.  I don't care how it happens (unless I have to get naked). 

Besides, as I see it, every dollar I give to the Post Office ends up in my vending machines, sooner or later.  How's that for self serving?  [grin] 

Priority mail is very good for this - a heavy package, get there fast and safe. 

Ron will get Taco Bell so he won't mind.  I leave him there: food, drink, bathroom.  None of which can be found at the Post Office. 

I just hope I get an update.  I mailed some Bibles after another disaster, years ago, and never heard a peep!  Were they handed out?  Are they sitting in someone's garage?  I don't know, but I know God will use them sooner or later.

I remember one day I found about 40 New Testaments at the thrift store, donated by a church.  They had been marked up to lead the reader down the path of salvation - took dozens of hours.  They just waited for decades until I came along.  I handed out most of them on my way home.  :) 

Some of the Bibles I'm distributing today sat in a garage for years, probably.  It wasn't their time.  They got shipped to me and I distribute. 

I often think the things I hand out may sit around for years until the person's ready. 

I see myself more as a distributor than an evangelist - although of course I pray for the recipients every day. 

Instead of stocking a machine, I'm stocking souls.  :) 

Do I think *I* am "saving" anyone?  Absolutely not.  Only God can do that.  I'll make an introduction.  I'll provide a Bible or other scripture material.  I pray.  That's it.  If I have any "role" it's more like one brick in a pathway. 

So, I'm ready to go.  I don't have any sodas (last minute) but I have plenty of bottled water.  I've been hydrating.  I want to be hydrated but not bursting. 

I hate going on a Handout and standing there, desperate to pee.  The gas station doesn't allow any bathroom usage. 

No comments: