Sunday, June 8, 2014

One hell of a bond

I'm not all traumatized like I was last time. 

But I do wonder.  As you know a famous comedian was badly injured in a wreck, this weekend. 

I know exactly how the families of the injured are feeling; and pray for them. 

I can only imagine the remorse felt by the truck driver. 

I can't help but wonder, if "my" driver, the driver who ran over my husband, is reliving his own experience this weekend. 

Does he have a special empathy for the truck driver? 

Has he been reminded he put Ron in a wheelchair and me through hell? 

Or is he eating Doritos and watching sports? 

I don't know.  I don't even know how I'd want him to feel. 

I guess, everytime I hear of a horrible accident, I always go to the three of us, me, Ron, and the driver.  Like it or not, we've got one hell of a bond. 

He's probably the only other person who can approximately grieve what we lost.  All of us. 

I imagine there's a certain innocence in driving - until you hurt or maim someone.  Then you know what you can do - what your vehicle can do.  Driving, I imagine, is never the same after that. 

Now he has to live his life knowing he put a nice guy in a wheelchair.  He has to see Ron get just a little worse every year - knowing that's his fault, too. 

And people think "He got off"! 

No comments: