Wednesday, June 25, 2014

No cost

My aunt is the family "fixer"/social worker.  She's the first number you call when the house burns down or you need a place to spend the night.  One guest stayed for a year. 

I made a rather frantic phone call as she lunched with a friend "We hired these guys to take away the clippings in the street, but now they're in the backyard mowing... I hear a chainsaw!   They keep dragging trash out and throwing it in the truck!  I didn't ask for this!  How can I pay for it?"

She gave me a little counsel and hung up. 

My backyard was pretty awful.  They worked for an hour, and then rang the doorbell. 

I couldn't talk to Ron, he was, ah - unavailable.  I scrounged up everything in my wallet and awaited the knock on the door. 

I knew we had, ah, a language barrier.  I just hoped I could afford the cleanup, whatever it cost. 

The man knocked on the door and took me on a tour of the yard.  It had been transformed from an overgrown nightmare (particularly my garden area), into a lovely, clean, space you could put on the market.  I was shocked. 

"No cost" he said. 

WHAT?

His daughter translated.  They like to help out people in need, now and then.  The elderly and people with disabilities.  My husband was both, and they would now be donating yard services for the forseeable future!

I gaped, very unattractively I'm sure.  The yard has been a huge stone around my neck.  I have fatigue issues due to medication, and virtually nothing left after a day at work and caring for Ron.  I have 2 broken lawnmowers in the garage.  I love the space, the privacy, and the room for my cats to play...but I can't keep up with the yardwork.  Now they'd take the baton and run with it, leaving me free (little do they know) to work on more evangelism with the energy I've got. 

They must be saved.  They must.  I can't believe it. 

When Ron was better, he asked how I'd paid the yard crew.  I told him.  He was shocked.  "Ron" I told him "We put so much out there every day.  People want to give back, people want to help.  He's doing this because he admires and respects you.  Allow him to do it.   You can offer to pay him every time." 

Ron acquiesed. 

The yard guy was referred to us by a man at work.  A man, I'm sure, who had a lot to say about Ron working in spite of it all, and some pretty brutal hours at that. 

It doesn't matter why they did it.  It doesn't matter if I deserve it, or don't.  I am always shocked when people do nice things for me, but I'm getting better at saying "Thank you" and accepting. 

Oh, I've dreamed of having a yard guy, but we couldn't afford it.  Now it doesn't matter! 

Yay! 

I can't stop looking out the window! 

No comments: