Thursday, June 12, 2014

I screwed up

Last night found me gulping dinner, doing my God Time, and going to bed the minute I got home. 

I just couldn't face getting online. 

We took our sodas to work and stocked.  I stocked snacks.  I helped Ron.  I took out the (trash) cardboard.  Ran my ass off, running around. 

Finally time to go home... but NOT! 

The maintenence guys finally showed up with a cartload of supplies, headed for the coffee machine.  Clearly, we can't leave now. 

So, we had to cancel our pickup.  But the pickup came anyway and then it appears Metrolift deleted our location because they kept calling and asking us to give the address, and describe it physically.  "I'm blind.  I don't know what it looks like!" 

The guys were having trouble.  I asked Ron to call the repairman. "He can't come out".  Call!  He did. 

Guess who could come out in 10 minutes? 

"He likes us." I told Ron. 

When the maintenence guys showed, I greeted them as rescuing heroes.  Yes, they have caused us a lot of grief.  Yes, it's beyond absurd it took them over 2 months to run a 5 foot water hose.

They didn't need to hear that.  Dale Carnagie said "Give them a reputation to live up to".  So, they were the heroes, come to save us.  They loved it. 

I got them lunch.  One of them gave me a segment of stainless water hose, connected to itself in a circle.  "Oooh!  Jewelry!"  I put it on my arm like a bracelet as he laughed.  "Don't tell my husband you gave me jewelry!"  (Ron was sitting right there)

The repairman came out and oversaw everything.  The maintenence guys followed him around like adoring little brothers.  We had water. 

We paid our guy and he left.  "Don't force the buckets" he told me "When you're emptying them.  You can dislodge the water hose and you'll have a mess!". 

I got most of them, but a couple wouldn't break loose.  I had to take out the old powders and replenish. 

I told Ron what our guy said, and mentioned I couldn't get them loose.  "I don't want to force it.  He said not to do that."  Ron called our guy. 

He could come by today, he said.  He also said I did the right thing. 

We left a note on the coffee machine, waited quite a while, and went home. 

I did my God Time and crawled into bed after eating and gulping my pills. 

I got up, took my shower, and did my God Time.  God only knew what today held. 

I stocked a little, and the repairman came.  He had a lot of trouble so I felt vindicated.  Finally making coffee... but we need new powders.

We went to the warehouse.  I got cream, sugar, french vanilla, Gautemala Antigua whole bean coffee, Folgers ground, a case of chips, and some candy. 

I forgot the hot chocolate. 

So, we got to work and half the drinks on our order board have chocolate.  Crap.  I had to tell Ron. 

Don't you hate that, when you screw up and you have to tell someone?  Oh, worst ever. 

He wasn't happy. 

"What do you want to do?" I asked "Call the other vendor and ask if we can buy a bag, or put up a note?" 

Ron cursed a little.  He didn't think the other vendor will help. 

"At least ask!  If he doesn't help it's on him!" 

He called.  He wouldn't give us a bag. 

He insisted I take two.  [victory sign] 

They really are happy I told them about those will-calls.   "We can pay them Monday." 

Thank you Jesus. 

I loaded it.  Then the fun part.  Making drinks. 

"I have to do a couple test vends, right?  To make sure the product is properly loaded?"  Absolutely, our repairman had told me. 

I had to sample 4 cups of coffee with cream and sugar.  I had to sample 2 cups of French Vanilla, and one hot chocolate which tasted REALLY wierd because I'd just had a swig of my Diet Dr Pepper. 

Did I mention, I hate coffee?   Ron likes the espresso (that's what they call it), so I made him one.  He said it was "good". 

I was impressed with the body in the new coffees.  It's a good strong flavor but not overpowering. 

I stocked the big-hot chips (it's a variety pack and my regulars adore them) and the candy.  Then someone complained.  The bottle vendor shortchanged her a dime. 

I evicted Ron from his wheelchair, sat in it (all the tables and chairs are fixed to each other) and used a wire to unjam the coins.  Got it going (we were just a couple minutes from pickup time), gave the lady a dime after testing.  Made sure it gave dimes, twice, then slid it into place, closed the machine, grabbed Ron, and ran off to our ride. 

We had a really nice driver with pink hair.  When we got home, she squealed with delight, seeing Baby Girl.  She wanted to pet the cat.  I got the treats and made sure that happened. 

That's the nice thing, when the cat's a treat whore.  [snicker]  She's happy to have stranger petting as long as you make with the treats. 

Ate a few chips, took my nap.

Thank God I have tomorrow off.  Literally.  It's too late to make a trip to work, now, even if we wanted to. 

The machines look good.  That's what matters.  Everything's working. 

We did it. 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I totally subscribe to that "give them a reputation to live up to" thing, and I didn't even know that Carnegie said it :) It works with every one I have come across so far, except the intrinsically, hopelessly lazy or indifferent. Those people, once I realise it, I just don't deal with.

Prayers for you and Ron Heather, and I could use some (you don't need to name me, God knows our hearts), I am worried so much about my husband. I have been watching Pastor Billy Crone's "Final Countdown", the Ultimate version, on YouTube, and it has really hit home with me. My husband is totally devoid of drama, and that is working against me in this area. He refuses to grasp the importance of salvation, the imminence (or the reality) of the Second Coming and final judgement.

I don't "preach at" him, but we are in our sunset years, and he doesn't have time to keep shrugging it off with an air of tolerance towards me.

I love this man so much, in spite of the huge differences in our personalities-maybe because of them-and I can't bear the thought of him in eternal hell.