Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Short Bus

"Heather says, bring a rubber" Ron told the repairman. 

"The rubber's wearing out on the mechanical hand, in our bottled vendor." 

I had a pretty good morning, considering.  I got up early, shower, God Time, breakfast (leftover stuffed cheesy bread, which worked great). 

Our first ride, to the warehouse, was good, but she was pretty slow.  She needs to pick up the pace or she won't be there long. 

We didn't need much, at the warehouse.  We got some Monster drinks (one of our most frequent requests), and 2 cases of canned soda. 

We got to work and stocked it.  Ron caused a jam with resulted in a lot of drama.  [gibbering noises]  He had to unload it and stick his hand in the machine, extracting the can somehow. 

I was busy fixing a very naughty bottled vendor (which, as I said, needs a new rubber) and trying to stock snacks.  I got about 75% accomplished. 

Ron and I, at the end of it, agreed we need to plan more time at work. 

We had one of my favorite drivers to go home.  I got the Bibles and the address.  I had blank paper to tape over the bar codes (because it messes up the scans), a marking pen, and mailing tape.  I had the address, written on a piece of paper. I had Mom's box all loaded up in the handcart/box arrangement (a folding box strapped to the handcart).  It took me back to the old Bible Handout days. 

I brought $40. Plenty of money, right? 

You can imagine how I felt when I got to the counter and found out the Bibles, alone, were $40 shipping.  I felt like such a nit. 

[Next time, I'll use a flat rate box.  I didn't have a large flat rate box so I had to use my own.  But now I have plenty - I loaded up on free flat rate boxes.]

See, that wasn't all.  I taped the "blank" paper over the bar codes and taped it thoroughly.  I was pretty horrified when I found I'd taped the address, onto the box, with only blank paper showing.  I borrowed a box cutter from a clerk, and cut it out, as I peeled the paper back I revealed the address. 

"They told my parents I'd ride the short bus" I said "I guess I just proved it."  She laughed.  I addressed the package and taped over where I'd cut the paper - boy that poor box. 

Then I got to the counter and barely had enough money to mail the Bibles.  Sorry, Mom. 

I told Ron about this and he gave me money to mail Mom's package (imported soaps).  She's going to be happy. 

Horrific line, the second time.  But I got Mom sent, and went back to Ron. 

Everytime I mail a package I pass Loz Lokoz Takoz.  It's a food truck.  I've walked past this truck every time, for years.  It's always open.  It always looks clean.  It has recently expanded.  On my second trip from the Post Office, I smelled a divine meat-cooking aroma. 

Today I was mostly depressed, but at that moment in time I was manic enough to think "What the hell, I'm going to give it a try."  I bought myself a steak quesadilla, for $6.  I bought Ron a takoz, for $2.  [grin] 

I went back to Taco Bell and gave him his takoz.  I hadn't eaten and was pretty hungry.  I opened the foil to find a huge quesadilla stuffed with meat.  I began eating and promptly started making X-rated yum yum noises. 

The meat was delicious, smoky and tender.  A lot of times beef quesadillas are dry, stingy portions, and gristly.  This was stuffed with delicious, tender, smoky meat.  I could only eat half, and I was starving.  I had to watch myself because I kept making those X rated yum yum noises. 

It was pretty greasy but that's standard taqueria fare.  I can hardly wait for breakfast (the other half).   So, so, glad I finally gave them a chance. 

Ron, in the meantime, murdered his taco in record time making his own yummy noises. 

We had a rather long wait but a good ride home.  Boy, I am tired. 

The Bibles arrive in South Dakota on Friday - then they're off to disaster victims.  I know God has it in His hands. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you pay the media rate? Books and magazines are a cheaper media mail rate. Most postal workers won;t offer it so you have to let them know.

Heather Knits said...

I wanted it there quick - and another round of horrific weather last night kind of clinched that.

I don't mind paying Priority rate. It's coming back to me, like I said - money I give the Post Office ends up in my vending machines.

It's also an incredibly cheap mission trip - $40 to hand out Bibles in a disaster-stricken area. Happy to do it. Wish I could send more, wanted to, but I prayed and got a NO on it.

Some people spend thousands on a mission trip.