Friday, November 22, 2013

"Someone will think I peed in your seat!"

I need a mother.  Someone to pick up after me, cook me nourishing meals, make sure I have clean socks, and most importantly, remind me to bring my rain gear. 

We had a simple day planned, go to the warehouse, get soda.  Go to work, stock soda.  Go home.  Maybe some other rides later. 

The weather guy had been talking about a cold front coming in, temperatures in the 50's.  Somehow the "strong winds" part didn't register.  The cold front would be preceeded by rain (customary).  The weather started out in the 70's this morning, so I brought my fleece jacket.  I figured that would be plenty.  I figured Ron, who had quoted the weather at me, would pick something appropriate. 

I wore a t-shirt with a fleece jacket and jeans.  Ron wore his twill pants with a sweatshirt. 

Our ride arrived, we ran out.  It began to rain.  We had two more pickups, the rain followed us.  We managed to get inside the warehouse club without getting too wet. 

I got our soda, and the sky opened up.  I don't get that kind of velocity in my shower.  Ron always carries a plastic bag, I borrowed it and wrapped up my cell phone. Ron wears a fanny pack so his stuff was OK. 

Our ride arrived, and I raced outside.  Huge, quarter sized drops splatted all around and on me.  I opened the door and stuck my head in "You stay inside.  I'm going to load up our stuff and then put Ron [in the vehicle].  You stay there!" 

I ran inside and got the cart.  Then I loaded the vehicle as the driver stayed dry (the drivers job is, duh, driving.  It's not their job to put up my merchandise.  That's why I get a free ride.). 

Then I got Ron, who had gotten a garbage bag and wore it like some kind of strange ghost.  He had it covering his head to his knees.  I got him loaded, but I was drenched.  I was completely soaked. 

I got in, apologizing.  "I'm sorry.  I'm soaked.  Someone will think I peed in your seat!"  The driver snickered.   It does happen. 

We got to work and I unloaded everything, then Ron.  I had to go through the rain to get the cart, then bring it out in the rain.  I had to load everything in the rain and then get Ron, and cart, into the building. 

We got rid of the garbage bag.  One of the Postal workers took a look at me, literally soaked and dripping  "Has it started raining yet?"  I laughed like a donkey.  "No, I don't think so."  He snickered and moved on. 

Working, saturated, wasn't so bad.  I dripped a lot, but I mopped it up.  I want to make life easier for every postal worker.  I didn't want to make a big cleanup for the custodian.  We got the machine stocked, snacks looked OK.  We need some bottled drinks.  Drip, drip. 

The cold front arrived.  I could literally see the windows fogging up, the wind blow.  I didn't stop to think what that meant for me, dripping wet. 

We finished what we came to do and left the building.  It was, I'd say, a relative temperature in the 30's.  I was soaking wet, in a wet fleece jacket and jeans, as the wind gusted, cutting through my clothes. 

I really could have used a "Mom" to remind me to bring a warm coat, poncho, snuggie, and some Hot Hands; but I didn't.  So I left all my lovely warm items at home and shivered. 

I have to wait where I can see the street, and the vehicle when it comes.  It is confusing and I always wave at them. 

It wouldn't have been so bad, only 20 minutes or so; but the driver was late.  Very late.  We waited an hour. 

The driver did turn up the heat when we boarded, and we chatted with another client we know.  When we got home Ron used the hair dryer to warm himself up.  I made myself some hot chocolate with hot milk and whipped cream, then I took a hot bath. 

What a day. 

However, I told Ron we clearly need to have a cold weather bag, with things like my extra snuggie (great for waiting at the bus stop), hot hands, hat, gloves, etc.  Because odds are, the next cold front day, I'll completely forget it all. 

However, a dedicated cold-bag is do able.  I hope. 

No comments: