Thursday, November 7, 2013

Devil cab

Sometimes, especially when depressed, I "run dry" on blog ideas. 

Other times I fall over them.  Today I read a story of a girl, a Christian, into track.  She refused to run in a race because her number was 666.  She tried to get a new number, the officials refused, so she "walked". 

From what I saw the Christian corner applauded her decision.  The unreached corner mocked her savagely.  I'm not going to do either. 

Now, if you happen to be unreached, or a little rusty, I'll share a little:  The mark of the beast is brought to light in Revelation 13. 

Revelation 13:16-18
New King James Version (NKJV)
16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17 and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or[a] the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: His number is 666.
 
Let's take this one verse at a time.  The mark is applied to the right hand or the forehead.  The race number is worn pinned to the chest of one's running shirt. 
 
No one can buy or sell without the number - she can do whatever she wants without the number.  However, she does need the number if she wants to run in that race. 
 
The name of the beast - the antichrist.  Antichrist worship is inherent in the taking of the mark.  No one is being worshipped by slapping a race number on your jersey. 
 
She will not lose her salvation by wearing the number.  She is not condoning or endorsing anything.  We (pretrib rapture fans) know the antichrist exists, but no one knows who he is yet.  How can you worship him? 
 
It just looks foolish "I won't run if you make me wear that number".  It reeks of old time folkey superstition, like "Don't let a black cat walk in front of you". 
 
I could tell you a lot about "unlucky" black cats, having had one.  He was one of the best things to happen in my life, and two of the best things that ever happened to me (buying the house, and getting my diagnosis) occurred while he lived with me, sleeping in my bed almost every night.   I miss waking up to his sweet face.   
 
Some other examples:
Yellow Cab has a contract with Metrolift, the paratransit service taking care of the Houston area.  They convert a regular minivan cab to seating for 4, plus driver, and one wheelchair in the back.  They have a Yellow Cab number and a Metrolift number. 
 
For years, we rode in the "Devil Cab" - #666.  The drivers told me people would refuse to get in the vehicle.  One old lady pointed a quivering finger at the driver, saying "I know who you are!" 
 
I mean, come on, people.   It's a number.  Nothing more, nothing less.  But it was always the last cab on the lot, next to the rattlers and the junkers. 
 
I knew a guy named Clem.  He drove for Samtrans, the San Mateo County Transit (bus) company.  His driver number was #666.  He had to wear it in a large embroidered patch on his arm.  He said people, waiting for an hour, would step back and wave him on when they saw the number.  He treated it as a big joke.  So did we.  He was a fine driver. 
 
Last week, when I did "The meter readings" (basically a cash odometer reading on each vending machine), one came up as XY666.  I told Ron, and he started laughing and "begging" people to "buy something!  The devil's in my vending machine!" 
 
It's just a number.  We have nothing to fear by "working" with it. 
 
We have yet to see the Tribulation, and the Antichrist.  You will know when they're here; but they aren't. 
 

1 comment:

Heather Knits said...

Sorry, no links.

Unless I post it. My blog, my rules.