Thursday, November 14, 2013

Ignorance

I have severe mental illness.  Do you know what bothers me the most about "civilians"?   Ignorance.  Ignorant people telling me what to do, what to take, and demanding I throw away my medication. 

I had another run in lately.  I'm not going to share her viewpoint other than it is criminal.  She apparently had a run in with tranqulizers, and now believes that every psychiatric medication is pernicious and addictive. 

I was praying over my computer over how to respond, and God showed me: she has no concept of the various categories of psychiatric medication.  She thinks every drug is the same. 

So, I was led to ask her some questions, which I will answer myself. 

What is a mood stabilizer? 
It's what makes my cat get into my lap.  It balances out the highs and lows of my illness (during one mania, I did not sleep for 3 weeks), and makes life more livable. 

Is a mood stabilizer addictive?
No.  It either works or it doesn't, and it's only used for people with bipolar disorder.  Some of the drugs have "off label" uses but your doctor can determine that. 

How is a mood stabilizer taken?
My primary mood stabilizer can only be taken by mouth, in a tablet or capsule form.  I am tested periodically to make sure I have the right levels of medication in my blood stream. 

What are the side effects?
For me, mainly fatigue, brain fog, bad spelling, I would not be able to drive.  I also have dry mouth, hand tremors, frequent urination, nausea, vomiting, etc. 

What is an antipsychotic?
I  hallucinate - experience things that aren't there.  My skin crawls with invisible bugs.  I smell strange things, and most usually, I hear music that does not exist.  I also get paranoid and have Bad Thoughts.  The antipsychotic takes that away.

Are antipsychotics addictive?
No.  In fact, many times people stop taking them because they hate the side effects.  In my case that is more fatigue and brain fog. 

How are antipsychotics taken
Many people get them as a monthly shot.  I take a tablet every day. 

What is an antidepressant?
Depression takes away a person's joy in life and ability to do the everyday tasks like work and housecleaning.  The right antidepressant helps give that back.  It won't make you "better", usually, I have always had ongoing issues, but it turns the volume down on the depression (which was suicidal before medication). 

Are antidepressants addictive
No, but if you stop taking certain ones without talking to your doctor, you will have some unpleasant symptoms. 

How are antidepressants taken?
Almost always, by mouth, a tablet or capsule. 

What are the side effects of an antidepressant? 
They usually cause things like headache, dry mouth, fatigue.  My medication causes headaches and a pretty nasty dry mouth, along with fatigue.  However, it's a lot better than being suicidal. 


No comments: