Monday, November 18, 2013

Beat

"I need your keys" I told Ron. 

"Why?"

"I need to remove this lock, and I need something to push the button down."  Ron handed over the keys, and I used one hand to depress the lock button as I twisted my vending key with the other hand.  Pop!  One vending lock in my hand. 

One very greasy lock, but hey, I don't mind getting my hands dirty. 

That was probably the high point of work; that, and stocking the snack machine.  The rest of it was an exciting challenge in faith.  Only God can help us make a profit.  Coin jammed mechanisms.  Bill acceptors not accepting.  The unspeakably frustrating coin mechanism on the bottled vendor. 

"Ron" I finally told him "What I'd do?  I'd take out all the soda and just sell $1 drinks only, cover up the coin slot and make it Bills Only, Coins Will Jam.  That worked before... but I'm not ripping people off!"  Ron agreed, which was great, but it necessitated unloading dozens of cold soda bottles.  Then finding the sodas a home - somewhere. 

I got up at 3, did my God Time later.  I didn't sleep well. 

Kind of a long story there: I have been medicating the cats with the flea drops every first of the month.  November 1, Ron suggested I "Wait, because they hate it and it's cold."  The cats have been itching some as a result. 

I'm pretty sure the invisible bugs in my bed were just a hallucination, but in case they weren't I did medicate the girls.  However, the hallucinations kept waking me up all night.  I plan to ask  Doc if I can take an extra Haldol at a time like that. 

We were ready when our ride came at 5 and we had a straight ride to work.  We did the usual inventory-stock-troubleshoot.  At one point I had to use the toilet. 

The custodians were cleaning the bathroom nearest our area, so I went up the hall.  I ended up stuck on a maniacal megaflush toilet.  The toilets have auto-flushers.  This one kept going off every 30 seconds.  WHOOSH.  WHOOSH.  It was a little awkward!  I finally got out of there and back to Ron. 

About that time, we had to leave.  We needed to go to the warehouse to get various supplies.  We did that, then we came back to stock.  We stocked, troubleshoot-cursing. 

The bottled vendor, at least will not be ripping anyone off.  I made a sign and taped it over the coin slot.  If they take the "Bills only, coins will jam!" sign off and put money in, well, that's on them.  I did what I could. 

Finally, done for the day.  9 hours.  We had to watch the construction demolishing all the trees in our area.  Last week they cleared 4 acres.  Now they are clearing the trees in front of the building.  It's awful to watch. 

I love trees (except mulberry trees, which would take over my yard if I'd let them), and hate to see them killed.  The saddest part was watching the branches and stumps put in the chipper.  When we left, they had 3 huge mulch mountains of wood chips.  The air reeked of pine oil, so strong it almost had a licorice note. 

I tried to breathe deep, the last I'd experience of the trees.  I think pine oil is considered antidepressant, and I can use the help. 

"It's ironic" I told Ron "Because I'm sure they have a big landscape budget.  When they're done, they'll plant more trees.  But they could have just left these!"  Our ride finally came and we went home. 

Yay.  Another straight trip, praise God.  I was hungry.  I was tired.  I needed my meds (I am taking mood stabilizers at dinner now because I get too groggy in the morning). 

I settled for a nap, a good nap.  I got up, did my God Time, and ate.  Took my pills, did up my pills.  Torbie had fun "helping".  Computer time and then bed soon. 

Whew.  I am beat. 

No comments: