Saturday, November 16, 2013

Nice things about my house

I'm going to share a little of my house with you. 

My bathroom is about 40 square feet.  It has a garden tub (3 feet by 5), toilet, sink.  It has an undercabinet sink in a medium tone pressed wood veneer.  The bathtub enclosure is lovely. 

When my friend asked what I'd like to see in the bathroom, I told him I wanted something neutral.  I put it all in his capable hands.  I wanted him to enjoy the project and anything would have been better than the falling tiles and rotted drywall. 

He outdid himself, my white fiberglass garden tub (about the only thing we kept, other than the window), is complemented by vertical subway style tiles in a light beige with darker tan grout.  It has a lovely stone tile mosaic border about 3 feet up from the tub line, and a reclaimed marble windowsill (he found a salvage yard and had it cut to fit). 

The walls are blue, but when I get around to painting I will do a light beige to match the tiles, with white trim.  I prefer neutrals in the public areas. 

My kitchen is a little bigger, about 60 square feet.  It has fake pressed wood veneer cabinets and a wood-tone countertop.  I think it's a laminate.  I do know someone used it as a cutting board, exposing a hard plasticy surface underneath.  It has a very basic stainless sink under a lovely window looking out at my tree.  I desperately need a new kitchen faucet.  The fridge and stove are white, the dishwasher black.  Interestingly enough they're all GE appliances.  No complaints - I'd buy more. 

I find it funny when I see those shows, featuring stainless appliances.  That's the last thing I want.  I have worked various foodservice jobs for over 14 years, I'd hate commercial-looking appliances.  I'd feel like I had to clock in everytime I went in the kitchen! 

If I could pick any color appliances, I'd probably choose black, but the ones I got with the house work fine, praise God. 

They don't "match" and I have never cared about that.  I cared more about the view.  The cabinets may be cheap, but they hold my food and dishes.  If I could pick a new cabinet I might get hickory.  I like the irregularities.   Countertops? 

No idea.  I don't think I'd get a stone, some kind of composite, a neutral.  Something I could buff out if needed.  Something that would go with the hickory, my cream colored tiles, and the cafe au lait grout.  Maybe coffee? 

I'm not a designer.  I'd love to get Aimee from Flipping Vegas, though. 

I have lots of natural light, 10 windows in the house.  Lots of green things growing outside all year round.  I love that. 

I love my bedroom, and the fact I took the doors off the closet.  It's so easy to hang my clothes (I hand everything except underwear).  I love my washer and dryer in their little laundry room right down the hall (I like that it's in the house). 

The bedroom is a deep curry yellow, very soothing to me.  I have those long plastic blinds that hang down to the floor.  They're fine.  The windows all have plain white blinds - very workable and practical.  I don't really invest in window treatments. 

For one, Baby Girl ripped up a curtain, going after a lizard.  I was glad it was a cheap came-with-the-house curtain or I'd have been very upset.  I do have long turquoise lace curtains I bought from Ikea, in the front room.  I find turquoise to be a soothing color as well. 

I also try to make sure the house isn't too girly.  I don't want Ron to live in fairyland with the little pink ruffles. 

The front room has some icky wallpaper border in hunter green, burgundy, and navy.  I hate it, but I'm scared of heights.  I would have to get someone to take it down.  I think it would be cool to put some fake crown molding up there when the border came down (assuming I had the money).   Either that or a tropical beach border to go with the turquoise. 

The walls, except for the bedroom and bathroom, are a light beige texture.  They applied the texture to "hide the imperfections in the drywall".  They did a bad job with the drywall mudding and taping.  The house flooded back in 2001, during Allison.  The storm didn't cause the damage; it was the police in their airboat!  The wake caused flooding in the house, which required the removal and replacement of all floor level drywall. 

The homeowner didn't have flood insurance.  It is unclear but it might have been a HUD house.  At any rate she sold it to a man who owned it for several months.  Then he sold it to Alfonso, who attempted to make a big flip.  He lost money. 

When I look at the drywall, I'm glad he did.  Someone did such a bad job most people would replace it.  It's not that disturbing to us; but it does indicate a sloppy work ethic. 

Sometimes I like to think what the guys on the flipping shows would have said to "my" guys.  It would start, and end, with a lot of yelling. 

But it's my house, and I love it. 

No comments: