Monday, August 9, 2021

Sunday and Monday morning

 So I went to work, I tend to get there a little early even for me, on a Sunday.  That is OK with Walmart.  I ate my breakfast and clocked in.  

I went to my work station and was doing my thing for a couple of hours.  I had decided to take my break when the other girl came in as it was moderately busy with tax free weekend.  Make the corporation a few more dollars.  About an hour before my break, the boss called me.  

She wanted me to work late, until 7.  I said I could do 6 and she said OK (next time I will just go with 7 as I ended up taking a cab home anyway).  So when the other girl came in I took a lunch and came back.  She took her break.  We worked together for a while.  

You get a mix of personalities at the store that is all I will say.  No one person is "bad" but some require a little more delicacy than others.  I try to apply Dale Carnagie principles.  Book link  Useful stuff, I need to reread it today.  I notice my encounters go a lot better when I do this.  So nothing "bad" just a little careful stepping now and then.  Of course I had a couple of very irate customers as well.  Not much I could do about that.  

And I am sure I am not always a treat always going on about Ron and the cats.  😂  So I finished up my shift.  

I had planned to pay some bills at the Money Center today; it was not open when I went in, and had closed by the time I got off.  I had planned to get my COVID shot, the pharmacy was closed by the time I got off.  So I figured it was God's way of saying no to that.  

I figured since I was making some extra money I would like to spend $20 of it on a cab, so I called my guy and arranged that.  He actually came early and walked around the store for a while.  I think he was curious to see where I worked (he is very happily long term married with kids).  He had me home in 10 minutes a lot better than the 2 hours on the bus.  

I sent my sister a text (her birthday) and then called my parents.  They are happy the boss wants me working more.  And that I am doing it.  I don't have a choice; I don't have a safety net and I am the only breadwinner.  Well, God has taken good care of me this year but you get the idea.  I have a responsibility to do as much as I can to support myself and the cats.  

Speaking of cats I went to Academy Sports last week and bought 2 pairs of work shoes, both Sketchers, both mens.  Very comfortable and up for a long day on my feet because I have to stand for hours at bus stops both before and after work.  I can't take a cab every day, nice as it would be!  😂  Anyway they gave me a large plastic bag.  I saved the boxes so I know what I like and can easily just say "more of the same" next time.  But I was lazy and left the bag on the floor.  It is no longer "my" bag.  It belongs to Biscuit, who lays on it constantly.  Last night even Baby Girl took a turn.  So I will keep it until he gets bored I think he likes the different texture.  

After the phone call I had a salami and cheese (didn't want to try the salami until I had a day off in case I got a migraine, but I didn't) on whole grain bread it was very good.  I had to chew rather carefully as I didn't want to affect my tooth but I got the food and my pills down just fine.  Then I called my sister she is doing pretty well but had a COVID exposure.  She is quarantining until she gets the test results.  I was teasing her about Ivermectin and saying it will get rid of any worms she has, and the virus, and telling her to go to a feed store.  She declined.  Her cat meowed at me over the phone a few times which was cute she is a little thing apparently.  Cat is getting spayed pretty soon.  Torbie got on me during the phone call but didn't meow.  Torbie only meows when she wants a treat and the day she first saw me at the shelter.  She meowed and came running over to me and jumped in my lap.  A really nice way to be chosen!  

The A/C is running already so I will not be running the dryer, but I do have a load of tshirts and underwear to wash.  I wash my darks in the dark wash detergent.  It has additives to keep the clothes dark, additives I would really rather not have in my underwear.  I just use the Free and Clear for the non dark loads.  So I need to do that.  

I also need to figure out a home for my support socks.  I like having them but I need a place to keep them, I think I will use one of my shoe boxes in the closet.  They are rather hot and it feels really good taking them off; but my legs do feel better wearing them and YES I am vain enough to want to keep my legs looking good with no veins for as long as possible.  My grandmother always said I had nice legs and so does my aunt.  But I am on my feet for well over 8 hours a day, sometimes as long as 11 or 12.  That takes a toll.  But I have to support myself.  

I did tell someone I was glad I did not get a bigger life insurance payout (aside from the $32K to pay off the house) because I would be sitting at home spiraling downward.  This way I have to get up, go out and work, make a living, activity and structure in my days.  I think that is what happened to my mother after her last husband died; he left her VERY well off but she didn't have any structure and really struggled.  She ended up losing everything.  I want to be a good steward of what I have.  

Anyway I think I will go get on the exercise bike for a while.  I'll be back later.  

No comments: