Monday, January 15, 2018

Indestructible purple things

I had a pretty good day yesterday.  We went to the Kolache factory, ate, had a good time, came home, took a nap. 

I got up and did some cleaning.  Then I went to bed. 

I slept pretty well, but I had an odd dream right before I woke up.  I was next door, at #6, talking to the wife when aliens invaded.  As in, the Alien movie franchise.  It was chaos and fighting.  During the fighting, I threw the only thing I had at hand - a potato.  And the Aliens went crazy for them, gobbling them up.  I managed to convey this in Spanish and we pelted the Aliens with papas (potatoes, en espanol), until we could make our escape. 

And then I woke up.  Took my shower, fed Biscuit, all the good stuff. 

Ron was sick but we went to work anyway.  He felt tired, and queasy, but no other symptoms.  I worry about his liver.  He felt so bad he didn't even fill his vending machines, so I had to do the work of 2 people today. 

Ron gave me a very hard time about bringing home my candy, accusing me of trying to "buy love" and "make people like you".  I didn't bother to argue.  The game is played by me saying "No, I'm not".  I just said "Believe whatever you want" and left it at that, which got him very upset.  He finally left me alone. 

We came home, I took a nap.  So did he.  I turned on the heated mattress pad and Torbie lay down on the exposed part of it (just covered by a sheet, but no covers).  We had a pretty good nap, no weird dreams. 

I got up and did my God Time, bagged up some candy, with my new candy.  I was glad I had brought it home, although it had been difficult and heavy.  Our driver arrived. 

It really aggravates me: Ron has become incredibly selfish and lazy.  When we rode the bus, if we weren't there on time we missed the bus.  The bus didn't wait for anyone.  You were either there on time, or you missed it.  Ron was always running to meet the bus, or train, at the last minute.  The commuter train to San Francisco used to look for him. 

Paratransit is a little different.  They pull up, they give you 5 minutes to come out, after your pickup time, and then they leave.  They even give you a 10-minute callout to let you know they are coming, so you can handle all that last minute business. 

Ron will not get ready until after the ride arrives.  He very slowly puts on his pants, shoes, fannypack, at the slowest possible pace.  I think part of it is to get me upset, because I don't like to keep people waiting and I tell him that.  We have also been LEFT because he was so slow getting out.  Part of it is he doesn't want to get ready for anyone, they have to wait on him.  I am stuck, because it is his service, but people who give us rides are always shocked that I am ready the minute they arrive, with no waiting, vs. waiting 5-10 minutes on Ron "Oh, I guess I should go to the bathroom".  The only one he doesn't do this to is Jack, our "truck" driver.  One, he's already dressed, two, he doesn't dare alienate him. 

But if he can, or feels he can, get away with it he is kind of a jerk.  I don't believe in making people wait at all.  They're doing you a favor, providing transportation. 

Anyway.  Ron took his sweet time getting ready for the ride, and by some miracle she actually waited on him.  We went to Denny's. 

Ron ate the better part of a half order of nachos and a salad.  He liked them pretty well.  Next time he said he would just eat the nachos.  I noticed the salad was iceberg lettuce, there was a big "food poisoning" recall on romaine lettuce in many states, I guess it is hard to get right now. 

I had a build your own slam, with hashbrowns, ham, eggs, and whole wheat pancakes. 

We had a pretty good time.  I had to take him into the bathroom at one point so I let our waiter know we were coming back. 

Our ride came.  The driver was very fearful about the "big ice storm" - maximum projected ice, one tenth of an inch.  I rode around in cars, much older than today's, in 4 inch thick ice all over the road, no big deal.  It is no big deal to drive on ice if you are careful and drive defensively. 

But she kept going on about "how terrible it's going to be" and "I hope they just go to medical services only" - which would leave us stranded at the dentist.  We have some cab drivers but still, it could get ugly. 

Worst case maybe the dentist could give us a ride home.  He likes us pretty well.  And I think Ron's going to need another root canal. 

The driver also mentioned she had "just gotten over the flu, and her grandbaby was actively sick".  I disinfected my hands and the whole wheelchair when we got home.  I also took an extra oregano oil and some more Vitamin C. 

About the only notable thing I forgot my medication, so I had to take it when I got home.  I did that.  I'm going to stay up for a little while so it can process.  I don't want to burp up oregano oil and lithium if I can avoid it.  Ugh.  Makes me queasy just thinking about it. 

Tomorrow "the big storm" arrives.  It will get very cold, winds up to 25 mph, some sort of precipitation, maybe ice, sleet, or snow, which may stick to the road for a couple of hours.  That's what's got Houston in hysterics.  We drive very aggressively and recklessly, and you can't do that on ice.  So people will have to put down their cell phones and pay attention if they don't want to end up in the Emergency Department, or a ditch. 

Now, I ride with professional drivers.  I'm not worried.  But I imagine a lot of people are. 

I covered up the purple things again.  They were looking a little wilted from the last freeze so I want to keep them perky.  I have some cuttings, in water, in the house, if all else fails and they die.  But I doubt that will be an issue. 

They are pretty indestructible. 

No comments: