Wednesday, January 24, 2018

"Buy yourself some underwear"

Ugh.  I wish I could say today went better than it did, but it wasn't a bad day. 

I went to bed early, got up around 8.  I will do my God Time later, I took my shower.  Since my favorite pair of jeans were in the dryer, still wet, I got my second pair (I only have the 2 long jeans because we just don't get that much cold weather) and wore them, instead. 

We were going to the taqueria about 2 miles away.  2 miles from the house, tops.  And our ride was nearly an hour late.  Ron was livid, and made a bunch of angry calls to paratransit. 

We finally arrived at the restaurant.  The waitress is a really sweet gal, a hugger, who I like a lot.  She came over and got Ron his beer.  I got a Diet Coke with lime in it.  It's a long story but Ron doesn't like lime in his beer.  They were sitting there in a little cup on the table so I put them in my Diet Coke.  Now she brings me limes for my diet Coke.  Told you it was a long story. 

I ordered a couple of breakfast tacos.  They have fantastic bacon and the bacon and egg taco is very good.  I got 3, with corn tortillas. 

Ron got chilaquiles, norteno style.  I am not sure what is different with the nortenos but Ron loves it, whatever it is.  Sometimes, especially with ethnic food, it's best not to ask "What's in this?" and just enjoy your food. 

Ron got sauce on his shirt, then dripped beans on his fanny pack.  I am looking forward to that bib, let me tell you.  It should come today. 

Ron worked on that for a while.  The waitress came over a few times.  Ron's hands were filthy so I paid (and he paid me back, later).  I left a tip on the table, a pretty good one but not too crazy.  We didn't need much once she got us set up. 

The next time she came by, I gave her the tip (I don't like to leave cash on the table, especially with the amount of homeless in the neighborhood), and Ron gave her an extra $5.  He kept asking where she was, after that. 

I don't know if you are familiar with food service but waitresses have to do "side work" (chores) in addition to the regular work of waiting tables.  This is permissable by labor law, as long as she is getting enough in tips to at least equal minimum wage (my understanding).  So, she was doing her other work. 

She finally came by and Ron gave her a $20.  I didn't have a problem with that.  It is hard work, and she works long days, over 8 hours, on her feet, running around.  Most customers are not good tippers. 

Then Ron told her to buy herself some new underwear.  I was horrified.  She laughed and gave him a hug, putting the money away.  Oh, Ron, you're going to kill me one day. 

That's the kind of comment that could get us banned from the restaurant.  Fortunately she took it in good humor.  She has probably heard worse.  But still, it was awful.  I told her I was sorry, she said it was OK.  Then she left. 

She didn't come back. 

When I wanted a refill, I had to get up and go to the counter, not that I blame her.  And I had just given everyone candy with Scripture booklets.  Way to ruin my witness. 

Although it might make me more sympathetic.  I don't know, but I'm not happy. 

I told Ron "I'm getting a good glimpse of what to expect when the dementia comes" and he laughed. It wouldn't have done any good to yell at him.  He would have liked it, and felt more "outrageous".  He likes being an outlier. 

They brought me my quesadilla to go, and pretty soon after that the ride home showed up (also very late).   They are bound and determined to ruin our brunches. 

We went home.  Ron told the driver what he had told the waitress.  She was pretty horrified as well.  Then Ron asked her how many kids she had and had she had them natural or not.  Nunya business!  She didn't tell him. 

I don't know what is going on with Ron lately but I hope this behavior does not extend to work.  That could get us thrown out and banned from the program. 

We came home and I put my food away, then took a nap.  I had a hard time because Torbie was occupying the center of my bed.  I tried to lay "around" her but that didn't work very well.  I finally had to move her.  She let out the saddest meow of protest, it broke my heart.  But I needed to sleep!  After I went to sleep she came back and laid in her "usual" (left lower) part of the bed. . That worked.  Biscuit came running by a few times on his way to and from the condo I have situated next to the bed. 

I did get a little sleep, but I woke up with a headache.  It wasn't the tacos, but I wonder if it was the limes in my Diet Coke?  That would make sense.  Maybe some pesticide on the rinds or something.  Happily, a couple of aspirin and a cold Diet Dr Pepper managed to fix the problem. 

I am currently doing 2 loads of laundry.  I will have Ron help me hang up his clothes.  He puts them on the hanger and then I put them in the closet.  I want to get one of those "lower to the ground" closet bars that hang off the top bar, so Ron can hang up his clothes independently. 

Sometimes, I wonder, if he lived on his own, how much help would he need?  How many people, how many hours a week?  What am I "worth"?  I don't think he would need a nursing home but he might, because he wouldn't be able to get out to his paratransit if he lived somewhere else. 

It doesn't matter, I am here.  I am glad I don't have a poker face, I show all my emotions, and the waitress today got to see my shock and horror at Ron's comment.  It's funny - I had a comment about Ron on yesterday but I couldn't post it (a little hostile).   That reader is really going to freak over today. 

Tomorrow we got to work, but not for long.  Things just aren't that busy for us.  I'm glad I got Ron to reduce the sandwich order, I was getting tired of throwing out unbought, expired, sandwiches every week. 

Off I go to do my God Time. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Look up alcoholic dementia and inapropriate behavior. My dad was diagnosed.