Friday, December 2, 2016

Snack Day

Today was snack day. 

I didn't sleep too well last night.  I had abdominal cramps and some urgency.  I finally figured out it was the shake I had with dinner - dairy and I aren't getting along these days. 

I have a theory God only made us to consume milk during the childhood and reproductive years, once we are past that we lose our tolerance.  I have no problem with people drinking milk, but I can't. 

I finally got some sleep, but I was really tired when I woke up.  I hit the snooze a few times and finally dragged myself out of bed. 

I was going to work, so I had to look OK.  I took a shower and dressed in all black (depressed), donned my Santa hat, put on my badge and keys (I wear my keys around my neck so I don't lose them), and finally donned my back brace. 

I didn't expect to be doing a lot of heavy lifting today, but you never know.  I did know we needed orange soda.  We were "short" on our delivery last week. 

We left and had a good trip to the warehouse.  It was already open so I could leave Ron inside as I did my shopping.  I got a flatbed cart and headed out. 

I needed 3 cases of orange soda.  I got that.  I wanted a case of Monster energy drinks.  People are working a lot of overtime, they will want that.  I wanted the Java flavor but they just had the regular, and some diet, flavors.  I got the regular flavor. 

I had plenty of nuts (that sounds funny), so I headed over to the 1 ounce potato chips.  The warehouse sells the potato chips in one ounce bags, a case of 50.  They cost me about a quarter each.  I bought some hot pork rinds, two kinds of plain chips (regular, and Ruffles), hot variety chips (5 flavors in one box), big (ounce and a half to two ounces) hot chips, etc. 

I forgot to get my Cheez-it's.  Then off to the cookies. 

I got two cookie variety packs, the customers like the varieties and they have a good price point. 

I bought some oatmeal cream pies, basically an oatmeal cookie sandwich with frosting in the middle.  The last time I stocked them, they sold out fast. 

Once I got cookies I moved on to the crackers.  Then on to the candy bars.  I bought several, and some variety boxes too.

I had seen one of the variety boxes for a while.  I didn't know it had a food cost of 52 cents.  That is exceptional for a name brand candy bar. 

We sell candy bars for $1 - they really need to be $1.25.  Candy bar prices range from 52 cents up to 61.  Ideally "you" want to double the food cost. 

Chips have a way better profit margin.  I buy them for a quarter and sell them for 70 cents.  If you think that is a bad markup, we are the cheapest game in town. 

When Ron was in the hospitals in October, many, 25 cent, chips were $1 to $1.50 and candy bar was $1.25 to $2.  Even crackers, which we sell for 65 cents, were priced at candy bar prices.  I'm talking about the peanut butter or cheese filled crackers.  "Everyone" loves those. 

Except me.  Ick. 

Then I went to get pastry (I'm getting tired just writing this) and got some selections.  Vanilla cupcakes are always popular, and honeybuns. 

One guy complains we don't have the pastry he wants, but I notice the pastry he wants is never one we have in stock.  He will ask for cheese Danish.  We get cheese Danish and then he whines he wants cinnamon rolls.  He wants to complain. 

I'm going to sell what the majority buy. 

After that, I paid, found a cart attendant, and loaded the truck. 

We got to work.  Ron almost had a heart attack when he saw all the merchandise How will we get it in the building?  How will you fit it in the stockroom? 

I managed.  I did a lot of stocking and stored the candy bars in the bottom of Snack #2.  It has a "locker" compartment in the bottom of the machine.  It is very useful. 

I stocked the chips that needed work (not many) and put them all in the stockroom.  I had to stack them pretty high but I did it.  Crackers and pastry can stay on the carts.  [sigh]  Finally done. 

I got everything stuffed in the stockroom. 

While I had been working, Ron had been texting the repairman.  He sent me a copy of the text - a very nice apology for "being an asshole" yesterday.  Good.  We don't want to lose the repairman. 

He had stocked what he could, but the bottle vendor is still broken so we didn't do that.  I did sell a drink to a customer who was interested in buying one.  She liked the way they looked on the cart, so I opened the machine and sold her a cold one. 

500 ml, or 16.9 ounce drinks will cost you $1.25 at our place.  I think the price is fair and reasonable. 

We finally left.  It was raining a little but not bad.  The driver was stressed and having a tough day, but really nice.  We made her laugh a couple times on the way home.  We had a straight trip. 

I took a nap.  When I got up I did my God Time, then turned on the computer.  I plan to watch a little TV tonight and then go to bed. 

I'm tired.

No comments: