Saturday, October 22, 2016

Very Clever

I was exhausted yesterday and batting a horrific headache. 

I didn't start out with the headache, but I did have to wake up at 3 AM which was Not Fun.  I got dressed, did my God Time later, and went into work. 

The other vendor was there.  I showered them with sweetness, light, and optimism.  Positivity, Ron is doing so well.  I know everything I tell them goes everywhere so I am controlling the flow, so to speak. 

I did talk about how badly Ron had done at the start, and focused on his incredible progress and I'm so proud of him.  It was all true.  Ron has really busted his butt.  I am proud of him. 

I forget what I write (I'm surprised I can write at all taking these pills), so I'll focus on some of his latest progress. 

With a rollator Ron has walked over 900 feet at one time.  He goes up and down ramps with no problem. 

He has also gone up and down a fake set of stairs multiple times, and his only gripe being they won't let him come down backwards. 

He can knock out 15 minutes on any exercise machine with no problem.  He is at his best shape in years.  Like I said, very proud of him. 

Happily we have a rollator at home.  It's in the living room.  My house and garage look like a sale flyer for a medical supply company.  I have everything from a ramp to a shower bench. 

I do plan to have Ron get in and out of the (dry) tub to see if I need a clamp on grab bar for him.  Other than that, I think we're fine.  Ron can get in and out of bed with no problem.  He can get in and out of the wheelchair with no problem.  He can "walk" with the rollator walker with no problem.  He can go up and down stairs, even, with no problem. 

But I have to be realistic, he is old and has a lot of problems, so I have to prepare for the day when those things are a little harder to do.  Hell, I have used the shower bench and the commode chair myself, when I had a horrid bout of food poisoning 13 years ago.  Ron was a real champ about emptying the commode bucket.  I know he hated it but he was very kind about it and focused on what I needed to get better.  He brought me endless glasses of water to keep me hydrated as I expelled all the toxins. 

Ron's not a bad guy, but the alcohol demon has it's claws in his head.  He has dried out but he's going to be very tempted when he gets home.  My job is not enabling and not policing.  He has agreed not to drink until he talks to a pharmacist about the Flomax.  It lowers blood pressure and his could get dangerously low if he drinks, I think. 

On the one hand, I want to be optimistic and hope that Ron will stop drinking altogether.  He will see he doesn't need it, and doesn't miss it.  On the other hand I think he will use the last couple weeks to "prove" he isn't addicted "Because I did fine not drinking for weeks, didn't I?" 

I can't worry about that now. 

I got to work and got the soda delivery and did about 4 hours of stocking.  I stocked everything.  4 soda machines, a food machine, 3 snack machines, and a coffee vending machine.  The nice delivery guys put away my soda (all 55 cases) so I didn't have to worry about that.  Nice guys.  I paid them and put the receipt in a safe place, but not so safe I didn't file it when I got home. 

I got home and took a pretty solid 3 hour nap.  I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, #6 left his light on all night and it was shining into my bedroom.  I have to wonder if he even THOUGHT it might bother us, or maybe he assumes I am blind too (legally). 

I don't know.  I do know I slept great during my nap and I was happy to get it. 

I got up, did my God time, ate a snack, and went to see Ron.  We had a good visit.  We mainly talk and snuggle a little (with our clothes on).  The cuddling tends to either amuse or freak out the staff.  Some of them act as though they caught us [censored], others just giggle or chuckle a little.  I remind the freaked ones we are married. 

We are.  It's OK, and if Ron were inclined, or me for that matter, we are certainly "entitled" to conjugal visits.  They can't deny us (there was a legal case a while back). 

I developed a nasty headache and came home around 7.  I took a Phenergan and went to bed. 

I didn't sleep great but I did sleep, and while I still have a headache it is vastly reduced. 

Ron is coming home today, he will "visit" for a couple of hours and then go back.  I will go back with him (to avoid the party next door).  I will stay until the end of visiting hours (9 PM) and then go to Walmart with Chuck.  I will shop a while, get my stuff, and come home around 10:30-11 PM.  The party should be about done by then. 

I thought it was very clever.  We'll see how it works. 

No comments: