Thursday, October 29, 2015

"I got people" handout

"Gimme Dat" https://youtu.be/SKJbDl8hDho is basically my theme song.  More on that in a minute. 

Today I brought my loaded up handcart to Sam's Club, and then to work.  I got to watch my cheap laminated sign flap around in the back of the truck, worried it would fly off onto someone's windshield.  I'm glad I didn't bring my "nice" one!  It got a little chewed. 

I took the cart into my work area and left it while I did my job, or, for the believers, "Made tents".  Paul, the missionary, made tents for a living and preached the gospel on the side, and boy did he.  I had to make my tents before I could be the missionary. 

After work I sent Ron home on the bus.  I'd planned to take the #6 bus to the transit center, then transfer to the #99.  I didn't realize I'd have to drag a heavily laden handcart across half a mile, literally, of grass.    Not only was it hard to move, it wobbled back and forth like a bucking bronco.  I got a scratch on my leg.
 
I got to the bus stop without losing a wheel, praise God.  The bus was late, of course.  Finally got to the transit center.

The 399 pulled up.  I asked if she went to Ella and Rankin.  Yes, she replied, and leaving in 5 minutes.  It was a very good ride.
 
I stood at the intersection, faced with 4 possible medians.  West was blocked by a lot of safety cones.  North looked pretty slow.  I didn't like East.  I went with South. 

South has nice pine trees on the median, but also several large and angry fire ant mounds.  I am certain God was busy protecting me, I didn't get a single bite.

Within 5 minutes I'd handed out three.  I had one man shouting "Hey!  Hey!" just like Ambassador in my theme song.  Even more appropriate, he yelled "Gimme that Bible!", just like Ambassador.  Very funny, very poignant.  He wanted 2 as it turns out. 

I had a lot of singles.  One gangbanger went out of his way to pass and get a couple of Bibles.  I had several women wanting Bibles for their kids.  The men generally just wanted one. 
I continued my policy, if one person wants a Bible, everyone in the car gets one.  They might not have asked, but they sure grinned!

I almost got run over by one woman, and apologized to her.  "Let me make it up to you" I said, as I offered her 2 Bibles (she had a companion).  "OH-kay..." she said timidly, accepting them.  I grinned. 
 
One young couple pointed at me, laughing hysterically.  "I hope we can all laugh about this in Heaven one day" I told the back of the car, quietly, as they left. 

I had two women who wanted Bibles, "For the kids at Church".  I didn't have a problem with that although you do have to wonder why the church can't/won't buy Bibles for the kids.  Not my job.  I distribute, they wanted, they got. 

One woman took a look at me, and asked how many she could have.  I asked how many she needed.  "I got people" she said tiredly "In my life".  I gave her probably 10.  She was very grateful. 
See, I've learned, not to be stingy.  If I am generous with the bigger requests, I still always have enough for everyone.  If I'm stingy, I end up with leftovers. 

I.  Hate.  Leftovers.
 
Pretty soon I was down to my last 4.  I began rolling up the sign. 

"Wait!" someone yelled.  I looked behind me to a disappointed looking man.  "Are you out?" 

"Not yet!" I told him cheerfully, peeking in the car.  "You need 2?  Here you go." 

I hurried off the median after that.  I had to go through more grass to get to the donut shop, but the crate was empty, so I could carry it. 

A carload of young man barked at me as they drove past.  That happens a lot, on Handouts.  I was in my regular clothes, my vest and hat put away, the sign rolled up and rubberbanded. 

I got to the donut shop, waited on my ride, and gave 4 more Spanish to the employees. 

Then, a good dinner and another ride, home, this time. 

I am definitely going back to Ella and Rankin. 

Please pray for the recipients. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You need a cart with ballon tires!

Anonymous said...

Balloon Tires sorry i cant edit comments