Monday, October 19, 2015

Big People

Well, after months of watching little "cinco" (the fifth child, and third boy) run out into the street, playing catch-me-if-you-can with his mother and siblings, nearly run over by Metrolift twice because he likes to dart into the street, etc... I finally had a talk with his oldest sibling. 

"Do you know why my husband ended up in a wheelchair?"
"What?"
"Do you know why my husband ended up in a wheelchair?"
"No"
"He was hit by a car."  I indicated the little boy, standing in the gutter in front of my home.  "I just thought you should know that." 

I didn't bother to tell him that nearly every toddler hit by a car dies of the head trauma, and those who live - well, their parents wish they hadn't.  I figured the specter of his little brother in a wheelchair might make him a little more diligent. 

Now, if he does get hit, I can say "I warned them about letting the little boy run wild." 

"They need to whip him" I told Ron "One time, and he will never do it again."  That's what my parents did with me and my younger sibling - when we ran out in the street we were given a lecture and a beating that still smarts, in memory.  I also witnessed my younger stepbrother given the same treatment. 

Overall, they have nice kids, but this one sees the street and traffic as some sort of game.  He's run a block down, into very busy traffic, before coming back.  I've written about him before, I have a very bad feeling about this. 

Sometimes you need to whip them.  Then they understand, in very clear terms, that small brains can comprehend = if I go out there, I will hurt.  I will stay here. 

Otherwise, it's a fun game, on that gets him precious attention from the Big People. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what an awesome way to handle that Heather good for you!