Monday, October 12, 2015

I don't want to be that person

I figured today would be difficult, I was right. 

First of all, I had to go to bed very early last night.  #6 had a lot of people over, I figured out later it must have been some kind of Bible study, but it had me up wondering if they were about to blast out a party. 

That, as it turned out, happened today when I was trying to nap. 

So, I had to get up at 2.  I did my God Time later (not long ago, in fact).  I took my shower, shaved my legs, because I just wasn't 100% certain.  I treated my "hangnail" on my toe with some tea tree oil (love that stuff). 

I got dressed and went outside.  I didn't want to wait inside, because, many times, the driver pulls up, dispatch radio blasting, shouting a cheerful good morning, banging the wheelchair ramp, etc. 

I don't like to disturb the neighbors.  I know one of them's up about the same time anyway, but the others are not. 

So, when she pulled up, yelling Good Morning, I asked her, politely, to please keep it down, because my neighbors were still asleep.  She gaped at me as if she'd never heard any such thing in her life. 

Well, your other passengers may not care if they disturb the neighbors, but I do.  I don't want to be that person. 

I would not want to make noise before 8 AM.  I could do it earlier, because my other neighbors are up by then, but if they're obviously still asleep I try to respect that. 

I've had people wake me up at night (before I murdered the doorbell), and I didn't have anything nice to say about it. 

I don't want to be that person. 

So, the driver got all indignant and acted as if we had offended her, by asking her not to talk in our driveway (which is right next to 2 of #6's kiddie bedrooms).  I know for a fact, someone talking outside in their driveway, or near your bedroom - the sound travels.  One time years ago some guy came banging on #6's door, yelling and having some kind of crisis.  They had an intense discussion standing outside in the yard, right next to my bedroom wall.  I heard every word - but I don't speak Spanish so I have no idea what it was about. 

They kept their voices down, but I still heard everything.  People don't realize, a house is not soundproof. 

So.  She was kind of mopey, the driver.  She really likes the other paratransit client who travels to work.  I think they are a little too attached. 

But that's their issue, not mine. 

I got to work and realized snacks didn't need much, aside from candy and pastry.  I did that. 

I told Ron I could be his lackey and follow him around all day, he was happy to hear it.  Lackey work is boring and involved a lot of sitting around waiting for him to make requests.  I'm glad I have my own work to do. 

We got the soda delivery.  It was a new guy.  The other vendor was pissed because he just dropped off the pallet.  I didn't care, he brought 3 loads on a hand truck for me and I put it all away myself.  Just because some of the guys unload (not in the job description), doesn't mean they all will.  I got him a snack and sent him on his way after we paid him. 

We had plenty of soda.  I don't think I could have stashed another case in our area.  Happily, we had sandwiches.

I got the delivery, stocked them, and put away the empty tray. 

Next up, soda machine.  They called to inform us they were on the way.  I took the lock out of the old machine (not hard if you know what to do), and stuck it in my pocket. 

I probably have machine grease in my pocket - it's like one of those police dramas "She had machine grease in her pocket, and this key fits a vending machine - she was in vending!" 

They brought the new machine (which appears to be a little glitchy), and took away the old one (a lot worse).  I installed the lock and verified the pricing.  Ron loaded up the change bank.  I stocked it. 

I put up a note telling them the drinks would be cold after 2, so they should be fine by now. 

That all done, we left. 

I came home, so exhausted.  I just wanted a nap.  But today is a school holiday, and #6 has little friends over to run and scream in the yard.  I tried, twice.  I figured it is hot and humid, sunny, but they keep running in and out of the house, yelling at the top of their lungs right next to my bedroom, screaming, etc. 

I don't do well with sleep deprivation.  I'll just have to wait until later.  We have nearly a month until the next school holiday, which should be interesting with the baby's first birthday party right around Thanksgiving.  In Mexican culture, the first birthday is an occasion for a loud, adult, party. 

That is not going to be a fun week, but we'll probably be busy.  Maybe I can set it up to sleep in late and work in the afternoons. 

The repairman will be out on Wednesday to help us work out the glitchy soda machine. 

No comments: