Saturday, January 30, 2016

Roster

Ron and I took a CPR class today.  I don't know why I'm so profoundly depressed. 

I didn't sleep well last night, got up at 5 AM, and got picked up at 7 to attend the training.  Ron came with me and left his mobility devices at home.  He just hung onto my arm, it was rough but he did it. 

The instructor arrived on time and had us watch some videos, then practice on the dummies.  He had everyone go first, and then Ron.  He had Ron and I practice the 2-rescuer technique.  We learned about the Heimlich maneuver, CPR on babies and small children (I don't see us using that any time soon), etc.  I had a hard time kneeling on the floor in my sandals.  If you have a CPR class, wear tennis shoes or something flexible. 

The class ran late which meant our ride left us.  After we paid and got our cards, Ron called a cab and we went home.  I had a short nap before #6's kids came out to play.  They are really loud when they get going. 

If Ron and I ever needed an apartment, I would do my best to get us a top floor so we wouldn't have to deal with issues like that.  That probably wouldn't work without an elevator, though. 

Oh, I'm so tired.  Just now, I yawned so widely I nearly swallowed my face.  I really hope/pray I can get a good quality of sleep tonight, although I am nowhere near as tired as I was when I was sick and barely catching 3 hours of sleep a night. 

Ron can sleep through just about anything.  Many times various neighbors have been in uproar and he's lying in bed snoring.  He snores, but that's not a big deal. 

I had a bedroom as a kid/teen that adjoined my parents bedroom.  Dad snores very loudly and I got used to it.  When I married Ron it was no big deal. 

He's snoring right now.  It's funny, actually, when they took him off the ventilator after his accident, he immediately began snoring.  Loudly.  In ICU.  I found that one interesting.  I never imagined a comatose patient would snore. 

We talked a little in class about Ron's story, just that he had been injured and CPR had saved his life.  We didn't get into the whole "testimony", though, there wasn't time and it didn't seem appropriate. 

We had 4 other students.  3 were healthcare providers and one had a business check for payment, so I'm not sure what she did.  I would have felt fine having any of the healthcare providers work on me or Ron. 

The instructor was a doctor.  He had a rather heavy accent, I could understand him but Ron had some trouble. 

At any rate, it's all done and we have our certification now.  I don't see us using it but it will satisfy the blind vendors, and is far more useful than anything else I could think of. 

The teacher did make a good point that we should carry a breathing mask to use on the patient, if we are serious about using CPR, because there are nasty diseases out there and you don't want to catch them.  Besides, I don't think anyone really wants to put their mouth on a stranger if they can avoid it.    That's a good point.  Someone I see regularly recently told me he has Hepatitis C, which I know is highly contagious and very nasty.  I'm not interested in adding another problem to my roster.   

I wasn't depressed before the class, or even my nap, but I sure am now.  I wish I understood why - but then again, I probably don't. 

Ron said he'd buy me dinner but I think I'll just order some pizza.  It will last me a couple days and I can get him the chicken he likes.  Then I can take my meds, and if anything will help my mood, it's that. 

My jeans are still baggy and my weight right at 222.  That's appreciably lower, at least 15 pounds, than it was before I got sick. 

I think I can keep it off, and lose more, as long as I don't gorge myself.  My appetite is better but still no where near 100%. 

I don't miss that. 

No comments: