Friday, January 1, 2016

"I think I overdosed"

I almost forgot the exciting part of my New Years. 

Ron has a system for taking medication: he has a digital recorder and records every time he takes his medication.  For whatever reason, he heard 6:30 PM as 2:30 PM, and took an additional dose of XS Tylenol. 

He brought me the bottle "How often do I take it?"  "Every 6 hours". 

"I took two doses in a 2 hour period.  Am I going to die?"  Probably not, I figured, but we should call poison control.  "No" he replied "I don't want to do that."  We should go to the hospital, then.  "No, I don't want to do that.".  What DO you want to do?  "Just wait and see if I get sick" He replied. 

I did enough research to determine over 4 grams a day was "bad" and he had only had 3 so far that day.  I didn't tell him that, but continued to encourage him to call poison control or go to the hospital.  He kept refusing. 

He wanted a drink.  I talked him out of that, explaining rather sharply: the medication has bad liver interactions with alcohol at NORMAL doses, much less overdoses.  He reluctantly agreed to abstain, while laughing at me. 

I didn't think it was funny.  He has no idea what he could have done to himself.  He snored all night, so when I woke up I at least knew he was alive.  He kept asking me where his liver was in case it started to hurt, and I told him.  He had no pain. 

I can't think of anything I can to do prevent something like this in the future.  It was an accident.  Ron was not having a blackout.  It could happen again.  It could happen to me, theoretically, although I use my pill organizer.  From what I have read, though, an extra dose wouldn't hurt me much.  I am taking far less than maximum doses on all my medications. 

Anyway, that was my shock and horror on New Year's eve.  Not at all what I wanted but at least Ron seems to be OK. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have him reasearch online aboit liver fsilure and acetaminphen. The screwed up part is how long and psindul oding that way us , Heather this is cruel now he has to stop and you do need a few naps to catxh up ..so glad you seem bladder better...can you not tKe the pyridium now for pain? Happy new year..much love and strength..not feeling great myself right now

Heather Knits said...

Pyridium made it mad for some reason. Thanks for the rest. ((((Hugs))))