Sunday, February 19, 2012

Worse than the theft...

The thing I hate, most of all, is the assumption that I'm stupid.  I'm not.

Sure, I have limits.  I have meds.  But I'm not an idiot and nothing makes me angrier than the assumption.

Take a repairman, for instance.  He had requested a key to the machines, so "I can work on them when you're not around".  I always thought it was a bad idea but Ron overruled me.

So, the man was given a key.  We had shortages.

I finally convinced Ron to change the locks.  Only he would have a key.  Ron, I knew, on some level had even doubted me.  I had nothing to lose by giving up my key.

I had always suspected the repairman.

Ron told him his plan to change the locks.  "Oh, don't do that!" He was very concerned  "You don't need to do that!"  Ron kept telling him, look, Buddy, it's my business and I'm changing the locks.  The guy said he would charge a lot of money to install the locks, "Heather can install the locks".

The guy tried and tried to talk Ron out of it.  He would return his key (after making a copy, I'm sure).

Ron finally realized, even before the switch, "This guy is the thief"

Sure enough, when he realized we had installed the new locks, repairman comes up with this wild story about "You'll see more money in the machines now because I fixed a problem".  He would have been better served to keep his mouth shut.  The story was so implausible Ron KNEW this guy had been robbing him.

Ron and I were more offended by the assumption we were THAT stupid, than we were by the theft.

1 comment:

Allen P Kimberly, MD said...

Video blog!