Thursday, February 2, 2012

"Where to Look"

When I was a teen, one of my favorite songs was "What have I done to deserve this?"  I always knew something was wrong, I just didn't have a name.

Today was a good day, actually.  The song just came up on my playlist as I typed.  Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and tell myself it would all work out.

We got up early and went to the warehouse club.  I had fun playing my favorite game "Guess the business!" as we waited on our ride.  If I see someone with a lot of little juice boxes, wet wipes, diapers, and bleach, probably a safe bet it's a daycare.  Today we had a guy with lots of bottled water, granola bars, coffee, and complements.  I correctly guessed "Office".

Most people are happy to tell me, and I have fun.  I still don't see myself as an extrovert, but I know I am.  I love interacting with the public, and complete strangers.  That's a good thing, as I approach another Bible handout!

Oh, by the way, I found the perfect verse:

Matthew 22:9

New International Version (NIV)
9 So go to the street corners and invite to the banquet anyone you find.’

I just thought that was fantastic.  I discovered it during my God Time.  

So, I went to the warehouse, went to work, stocked, and came home.  I took a little time in my garden.  

Everything is lush, green, and huge.  I planted some buckwheat in garden bed 2.  I accidentally weeded a sugar snap pea, so I planted a few seeds.  I threw some buckwheat in my new garden bed, too.  I'll have to cover it if we get a cold snap, but they provide a lot of green material for compost.  They also smother weeds.  

My pole bean, and the onion, are still growing in the compost pile.  I find that funny, and intriguing.  I've read of planting squash in the compost.  I have some interesting varieties I'd like to try, I've got plenty of sun, and plenty of room on that side of the yard.  Interesting possibilities.  

I started pretty small with the garden, and gradually add a new 15 square feet or so every year.  I want to keep it manageable and fun.  

My collards and kale are massive.  I could feed 3 blocks' worth of families from one plant.  Most of the onions are doing well (I had the transplants in a very dry, warm, house for 2 months after purchase, I'm amazed any of them lived).  The potatoes are huge, you can't even see the soil in that garden bed.  I savagely pruned my frilly purple kale (I figured out it is a "Redbor"), and it's still growing along  I'm glad; the potatoes are big enough to compete with the kale.  I don't need to prune it any more unless it's for dinner.  

I planted the Sugar Snap peas over a period of about 8 weeks, another few feet of row every couple weeks.  The first batch are about ready to bloom.  Yum.  I estimate delicious sugar snaps in about 2 weeks.  The chard is huge, about the size of a 5 gallon bucket.  Even the favas look good.  

I need to fertilize; and eventually I need to buy more fertilizer.  I think I'll just get a 25 pound bag and keep it in a lidded, 5 gallon bucket.  

I need to plant the clover.  It did very well sprouting and the roots are growing out of their little peat pots.  I plan to plant it in the pathways, it will provide a green cover, bee attractant (I need bees for pollination), and some nourishment for curious roots from the garden beds.  

Once I get that done, I need to harvest some of my greens, the arugula and mustard in particular.  I need to plant more greens, too.  When I'm eating lowcarb I like a lot of veggies and greens.  It's better if I grow it, I can pick it and eat it for dinner.  I don't have to worry about something decaying in the fridge.  

Speaking of, I cleaned out the fridge tonight.  Back to my day: after working in the garden, Ron took me to our favorite taqueria.  They had a special on fajitas.  I ate my share and realized I could easily low carb it.  

We got home, I took a nap, a little more work in the garden, God Time, etc.  

Tomorrow I cut out the sugar, aspartame, and caffeine.  It should be a rough couple days to week.  

I also need to prepare for my Bible Handout.  That means I need to organize the front room and start stuffing Bibles.  I gotta have tracts for that, so I contacted my "guy".  

I am hoping he can print up the "Where to Look in the New Testament"s for me, and just mail them.  Then I only need to put them in the Bibles and load them into the handcart.  

It takes about 4 hours on a day off to run off "Where to look" at the copy shop.  

No comments: