Saturday, February 11, 2012

Don't sniff the jalapeño powder

Boy, am I beat.

I can tell the depression has arrived, too.

Busy couple of days, a lot of stocking, work, running errands.  Ron wrote a new tract "Dirty Diapers" (our best is still a dirty diaper in God's eyes, but faith in Him redeems us).  We're also talking about "Pull Your Pants Up" (God is done beating you for your sins, you just have to accept salvation).  He's handed out well over 300 "Don't take the mark" tracts.

I'm still "On" for the Valentine's Bible Handout.  I decided to put a nice "Praying for you" greeting card into each gift bag.  I signed about a third of them, so a lot of signing in my future.

Today, while out, I ran into a VOM (Voice of the Martyrs) representative at the Christian bookstore.  I had an interesting time talking to her while we waited on our ride.  Very few American Christians have any idea what it's like to be persecuted for their faith; or understand the level of persecution faced by other Christians today.

When we came home I had time for a short nap.  I needed it.  I can tell my lithium levels are climbing, today I had a pretty bad hand tremor.  It lasted for a couple of minutes, and I kept slapping the twitching hand with my good hand "Stop that!"  Oddly enough, it helped.  I was pushing my hand against a stationary object, so when I stopped, it stopped, but it was strange.

The vending machines are all behaving - now.  One of the snack machines was "biting" my customers, the door was clamping down on their hands.  I re-named it "Jaws" (because it's a biter), and fixed it.  The  customers aren't buying a lot of snacks or food but they ARE buying drinks.  Thank you, God.  The coffee machine is doing pretty well, too.

I went to Foodtown and got plenty of delicious meat.  A small pot roast, cube steaks, and pork chops cost me about $15 total.  Boy, it's a good thing this computer has spell check.  I am a bad speller when I'm at the "right" medication level.  Back to the meat, I cooked it all up.  I have plenty of delicious low carb, pre made meats.  I can just add some veggies and there's my meal.

I've got some green chili stew in the crock pot right now.  Some of my spices are a little old - that's the kind of thing I tend to buy when manic, and then when I'm depressed I just stick to salt.

I was digging around; the oregano was old, the cumin is fine, plenty of chopped garlic (I'm the kind of woman who always has a quart jar with chopped garlic, in the fridge), and pepper.  I wanted to put a little jalapeño powder since I don't have any fresh peppers.

I opened up the jar.  It was kind of lumpy.  I sniffed it.

Don't sniff the jalapeño powder.  It didn't burn, thank God, but boy I had a sneezing fit.  I decided, if it affected my nose it would also work on the taste buds, but I'll probably get rid of it if it gets lumpy again.  When I get manic again, I'll go through all the spices and get rid of the old stuff.  

I had saved some some change in a jar, and then cashed it in.  I bought myself a cast iron grinder.  I want to use it to grind up beans to make soup, or Ron's pintos.  Tomorrow I need to wash it (it has a definite odor of machine oil).

I didn't really notice much when people complained about food prices.  However, peanut butter has gone up a dollar a jar (I'm not presently eating it), and I noticed lentils, of all things, have gone up a quarter a pound.

I like lentils. They're cheap, they don't have a strong flavor, they don't trigger migraines (like pintos!), they taste good with pretty much any spice, they cook fast, and they have really high fiber.  But a quarter!

I was glad I already have some lentils!

No comments: