Monday, June 11, 2007

Llama hat

I told Ron about my idea for the llama hat. He loves it. He has a vivid memory of being spat on and menaced by a llama when he was a little boy.

I told him that, when I'm proficient, I'd like to get some llama fiber, spin it, and knit him a hat. "You'll be nice and warm while you think about a naked llama running around somewhere." He loves it; more than I'd hoped.

I already ordered some used books on spinning from http://www.alibris.com. I'll have a few days to read them, and then, after I get paid Friday (and make my deposit), I'm going to get some fiber and a drop spindle. I love learning new things. It will be a lot of fun spinning my own yarn. I get to enjoy it several times over, during the spin process, dyeing (I have ideas of doing indigo over a natural gray), and knitting it up into a warm and cozy product.

I think I'll use my first batch to knit myself some legwarmers. It doesn't matter if they're a little "Rustic" - I think it'll add to the charm. I hate cold legs in the winter.

In the meantime, I have all the fun of selecting delicious fibers to spin. Paradise http://www.paradisefibers.net/ has some great products in my price range, and some gorgeous custom blends. They even have a "Lavender Heather".

Yummy.

No comments: