Wednesday, June 13, 2007

"296.6"

I was reading my lab papers (I go for my Lithium level test tomorrow) today. I think "we" may need to up my lithium some more, last night I spent hours online looking at meat sticks. Yah. Glorybee, who sells the most delicious hard honey candy with a soft honey center... mmmm. That's easy. I love their products and I have a terrible weakness for honey. I am thinking of buying some candy for my doctor's staff. And one tiny bag for me...

Anyway, I looked at my papers. My "Diagnosis Code" is 296.6. Being a curious little booger, I just looked it up.

"296.6 Bipolar I disorder, most recent episode (or current) mixed
Manic-depressive psychosis, circular type, mixed" What does it mean? First of all, Bipolar, well that's where I go too fast or too slow. Type one is the most severe form.

"In some people, however, symptoms of mania and depression may occur together in what is called a mixed bipolar state. Symptoms of a mixed state often include agitation, trouble sleeping, significant change in appetite, psychosis, and suicidal thinking. A person may have a very sad, hopeless mood while at the same time feeling extremely energized.In some people, however, symptoms of mania and depression may occur together in what is called a mixed bipolar state. Symptoms of a mixed state often include agitation, trouble sleeping, significant change in appetite, psychosis, and suicidal thinking. A person may have a very sad, hopeless mood while at the same time feeling extremely energized. "

(source- National Institute of Mental Health http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/bipolar.cfm )

Sounds about right for me. Mind, I'm not too wild about the word "Psychosis" but how else to you explain my ongoing urges to stockpile food and build a fall-out shelter? I didn't just "think" people were out to get me, I knew it. When it comes to psychotic symptoms, I'm more in the "delusion" category. I have strong beliefs, I know they are strange, improbable, or just plain wrong, but I can't NOT believe them. I can't get them out of my head!

All that said, my illness is very well controlled with my medication and some basic lifestyle changes. I try to aim for a quiet, predictable routine, regular sleep-wake cycles, avoid alcohol completely, always get 8 hours sleep, stay away from most medication (antihistamines will make me very manic - freaking out! No sleep for days! Stockpile! Disaster is imminent!), and avoid stressful situations if at all possible. Fortunately, I'm able to do that, thank God, but if something happened to my husband I'd have to go on disability. Like Dad always said, cross that bridge when I come to it.

No comments: