Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bubba's having fits

Poor Bubba is having fits in the window. We had a cool front come in, so we opened the windows that have screens. It's probably about 70-something degrees right now.

"I've" got Cardinals (the birds, not the team) in "My" Red-tip Photina (Cardinals and Red-tip, no wonder they live there). Unlike most homeowners or landscaper types, I prefer a more natural look to "my" hedges. I don't believe in butchering the poor things to quivering stumps, and ruthlessly whacking any vestige of nature. I HATE bushes like that. So I thin them out as needed, and confine them to a general area, but I don't hack them. I've had sparrows and the cardinals nesting in them as a result.

I love birds, always have, always will. I do feel bad for them because we have 2 alley cats. Ron and I can tell when Bubba's under the red-tip, frightening the birds - they scold him like you wouldn't believe. The mockingbirds love to follow Ron around after he mows, cherry-picking the tastiest bugs (I don't use chemicals, either). They'll dive-bomb Bubba as needed (which fills him with equal parts eagerness and annoyance).

I gave the birds a break today. Bubba is sitting in various windows, meowing at the birds, which scold him in return. Ron's asleep.

I got out my spinning goodies and gave it a try, but I feel very obtuse. The Knitty message board says "Only practice for 15 minutes a day" which is great advice. I'll do more tomorrow. The wool fiber I got (Corriedale) is pretty and cheap enough for practice. I like just petting the fiber by itself. It's very relaxing.

Bad news: I'm still "out" 2 spinning books I ordered. Frustrating! It doesn't matter what it is; home-care, bipolar disorder, or learning a new hobby - I've got my routine. Buy some books, read up, spend a moderate amount of money on starter stuff (if it's a hobby), and saturate myself with as much information as possible. Then (if it's a hobby) practice practice. I feel positively naked trying to spin with just one book! It's a good book, but it's only one.

I got some more Suave hand lotion today, the shea-cocoa butter kind. It smells so wonderful and is incredible. We have terrible foam hand soap at work, the antibacterial kind that's about as gentle as steel wool. Even Ron's using hand lotion. I'm really happy I got it. Sometimes $1 products aren't even worth a nickel, but not this stuff!

No comments: