Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Wednesday

 I ran a lot of errands yesterday.  I got my mail, got the electric bill, $115, not bad for a Houston summer, could pay it.  Went and paid it, transferred some money out of checking into savings to cover property tax and insurance.  I knew I would get paid today so felt OK taking it out a day early.  Did that.  Got some inexpensive shampoo at Walmart (not something I would want delivered, or take home on the bus), my aunt got something as well, and then off to Dollar Tree.  

I had a gift card for a while and wanted to use it.  I got some cleaning products and medications, a few snacks, all came to a little under $10, the card value.  I let my aunt have the remaining $.60.  She got some (grand)kid stuff.  I am really happy I have both Benadryl (store brand) tablets and some itch cream.  The hives have been ongoing but not severe, a new hive every day or so is all.  

I plan to go gluten free on that.  We went to Whataburger.  My aunt was shocked to hear I only went there for the first time, this year.  It is a Texas staple and one found on every corner.  I got the chicken strip meal.  I feel a little bad I was greedy with my fries and if she is reading I am sorry about that.  It was very good but the old lactose intolerance got me on the shake, later.  I need to remember not to get the malts.  

We went to Kroger next (you have no idea how much all these trips could cost in a Uber) and got some diet decaf bottled soda and a little tea mix.  Then I gave her some good news.  

My aunt grew up in Texas and loves conchas a Mexican pastry.  Let me see if I can get an image.  


I told her, yesterday, on the bus, I saw a woman board not far from my house, wearing a uniform of a bakery my aunt had mentioned as being really good.  Would she like to go check it out?  She weighs about 115 pounds and almost my height so I didn't feel bad "enabling her habit".  She eats very practically and even with a concha won't eat the whole thing at once.  She said yes so we found it.  Sure enough it was the real deal, thank you lady on the bus.  They had some divine looking cakes and some cake slices for sale.  I would have got a slice of tres leches but it had chocolate on it which is a migraine trigger.  I did find some of the "piggie" pastries.  They look like a pig, have a sweet egg glaze on them, a little sweet and good texture.  I like those, so I got 2.  She got 2 conchas.  Total cost $2.50.  So now she knows they are there and can get one if she'd like when she comes to visit.  I have never seen her get so excited about any other food and conchas are not bad nutritionally, especially if she only eats one a week which she probably won't even do that.  I was glad I could give her a treat.  

Then we came home and hung out for a while.  Biscuit got very brave and came out in the hall, looked at her back (she was facing away from him) and fled in terror when she spoke.  Spotty came out to eat, but ran off when she sneezed at him.  I believe she has a cat allergy.  😞  Torbie and Baby Girl were right there next to her though.  They are pretty fearless about visitors.  Cleo was not to be found.  I was proud of Biscuit for at least coming out.  Next week I may give him a can of turkey shreds while she is here and he will have some real motivation to come out.   I was able to give my aunt an allergy pill which seemed to help.  So we had a pretty good time, I was still pretty depressed but I think in person I am pretty good at fronting.  

She left and I finished putting my stuff away.  If I don't get it right away it breeds.  I put the dryer sheets in the laundry room, got the laundry going, etc.  Chicago Fire was on so I watched that for a while, talked to my parents, and went to bed pretty early.  I had difficult dreams, at one point I remember telling someone in a dream: yes, they put a lot of work into Ron after the accident, but I got him for another 16 (actually 18) years after that (so I am glad they did).  That's all I really remember so I just woke up SAD.  

The cats still wanted their breakfast so I fed them, checked my email, got paid a little more than I expected (not going to argue!).  I will have enough to cover expenses and my charity debit in a few weeks.  I have the cable bill at the end of the month ($80 for internet).  I am happy to pay the internet as I use it a lot, and they made the transition pretty painless.  

It was funny, someone I know at work was working the Money Center at work yesterday and helped me pay the electric bill.  I thought that was funny.  It was obvious it was my day off I had shorts and my plastic shoes.  But that was the big bill, electric, aside from budgeting $500 a month for taxes and insurance.  The house is only mine as long as I pay.  Now I could turn off insurance theoretically but I think that would be really foolish and not something I would do.  My company does pay and are nice about it, made it pretty easy in fact.  They kept me posted and didn't make me sweat blood or beg.  The flood insurance company (due in Oct) has a very good reputation for paying and paid all their Hurricane Sandy claims in 3 weeks per a letter they mailed to all policy holders after the fact.  That is good to know.  I can't imagine how awful my burst pipe claim could have gotten if they had given me a hard time.  

So I feel like all the bills are getting paid and I am not raiding savings.  That is good.  

Plan today, get my shower (be glad this is not a video blog!) and do my God Time, then take the bus out to the grocery store and have a look around.  It is a more "budget" store so I will see what they have for a single lady on a budget.  I know they sell the ground turkey chubs which I like.  I get several meals for less than $2 and it is easy to prepare.  

Traffic will be a little more exciting but I am trying to be bolder, without being reckless.  I am trying to battle fear as much as reasonably possible.  And I have a lot of anxiety around traffic.  But I will try to focus on today being fun.  I will do some research on hives before my shower because they are annoying.  It isn't a major outbreak like 2009 and if I had to guess most likely stress related.   But if I have to cut out wheat I will do it.  

A few things I will miss, though...

No comments: