Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Posted

February is not starting as well as I might have hoped. 

Yesterday, I woke up with a migraine.  I had to work anyway.  That was pretty awful, and the headache didn't depart until well after 5 PM.  Basically, by the time I felt better it was time to go to bed. 

I had today off, woke up with another migraine.  One family member will swear to me these are hormonal, and they may be as I expect my cycle.  I just know I hate migraines. 

By migraine I mean an excruciating headache with sensitivity to light, sound, and even scents.  Turning my head hurts.  Usual work tasks are agonizing.  You get the idea.

It peeves me when someone is walking around, eating, smoking, very active, not slow at all, and says "Oh, I have a horrible migraine today" in a bright and cheerful voice. 

No, you do not.  You have a headache.  I am sorry you do, help yourself to my OTC headache pills, but don't insult real migraine sufferers by calling it a migraine. 

Or they ask "Can't you take something?  My sister takes a pill..."  No.  I can't.  Drugs exist but they have dangerous interactions, are addictive, or have side effects.  I really do not want to vomit in this bucket but I don't have a choice.  If I could take something, I would. 

Yesterday they decided to wax the floor and leave the door open to the smoking patio.  Talk about bad odors! 

Someone also picked the lock on Ron's wheelchair and relocked the chain in a way that made it nearly impossible to undo.  Ron was Not Happy, me even less. 

Why would you screw around with a wheelchair?  The way I locked it, people couldn't sit in it, which is smart.  We have a lot of extra large employees who aren't comfortable in the cafeteria seating.  The wheelchair looks appealing, but only has a 200# weight limit.  Many of them are a lot over that, I worry about breakage.  But Ron wants it locked that way, and he locks it, so we are stuck. 

I did put on a note letting people know it is not a postal wheelchair, it belongs to Ron, and "God and Postal Inspectors (in store police force) are watching you".  Ron asked for the last line. 

Then he went back to locking it the way he always does.  I was irked, but couldn't get too upset because I get worse headaches when I'm angry. 

We came home and I got a short nap, then we went to Walmart.  We had talked about getting a new Television for me. 

I have been very happy with my old-def television.  But Ron had talked about going off cable and using an antenna only, which would have worked.  He decided to cut back our cable package in preparation for this event.  He only lasted a few hours before he asked them to bring it back. 

Then, it seems, it was still "I'm getting you a new TV, but we're keeping the cable, I got the High Def starter package".  I am happy with the new package.  I just watch TNT, A&E, and some TLC.  I watch local news (not 26).  That's pretty much it for me, and I'm happy.  I have all that, plus I now have access to the music channels.  Ron is happy about that.  I expect he will be asking me to tell him the names of various songs and artists. 

I had wrapped my brain around the idea of a new TV.  I would, of course get a modest one in the 20 inch range.  That's what I have now for my monitor and my old def TV. 

We went to Walmart.  That's where I got the old-def and it has been a good one (a Sanyo).  We went, we looked, I found a decent looking screen that would fit my space (I have a limited area to put the TV when it's ready). 

We went to checkout and they said they couldn't ring it, because it didn't have a serial number.  Our driver had arrived early and was calling us.  I told them we didn't have time to wait on a new one, held up the cash in hand, and said "Kiss it goodbye" as I gave it back to Ron.  The manager and cashier looked disappointed, which is now I felt. 

Ron asked me to look around and find another one.  I looked at Fry's but they had a lot of refurbished, and Ron and I agree "We don't want someone else's problem".  Refurbished TV's already broke, got fixed, and are now being sold cheaper for that reason. 

No.  Thanks. 

Ron mentioned Best Buy.  I never even walked into a BB and was a little skeptical. 

I looked, I liked the online reviews and the interface was easy.  Ron made arrangements. 

I found a brand with good reviews "Insignia" - their store brand, made in China like everything else including my beloved cell phone.  I looked at the small one- frankly, too small. 

I looked at a bigger one with included DVD.  I already have a DVD in my computer.  But the other, bigger, one, didn't have a headphone jack.  It was some weird digital interface port.  Not what I want.  I have an unused set of speakers, runs off a headphone jack.  I looked at the DVD model.  It did have the port I wanted. 

Both models cost the same, and had about the same 4.5 star rating, so I got the DVD one.  By this time the sales man had showed up and was eager to help.  Maybe he gets commission. 

I told him I wanted a basic USB keyboard, not a wireless, because I have had problems with the wireless when the battery's low.  It took him a while to find me the one I am using now. 

The configuration is a little different but I am getting used to it.  I do like how it has a bigger backspace key.  Not that I ever need it.  :P 

We got home, I ate, took my meds, and took a nap.  I had some weird dreams but felt pretty well rested when I did wake up.  Unusual for me. 

I got up, ate some more - I was pretty hungry, and watched TV for a while before attempting to install the stand on my new TV.   It's a little wobbly but it stands up, and Ron promises he will "work on it".  God help us all. 

The cable guy comes out in a couple days, apparently they have to bring a special box and program it to work with the TV.  Even my old thing.  So, he'll come and do that. 

I just hope the transition is painless.  I am happy to know we will have a lower electric bill. 

I plan to keep the old TV in case we have any problems, get robbed again, whatever. 

I'll keep you posted. 

No comments: