Saturday, February 13, 2016

Brunch with Dad

I got up early, cleaned up as best I could, took a shower, and did my God Time.  Ron woke up, I tried to get him to take a bath, and he refused, but he did change his clothes.   I wore a purple heather t-shirt and capris. 

Mom and Dad arrived, bringing lots of Diet Dr Pepper, from my aunt.  Awesome. 

Mom took some photos of the cats.  The girls were obliging, and Gravy, but Biscuit had a panic attack when he saw the camera, tried to claw me when I picked him up, ran off, and hid.  Oh, well.  3 out of 4 isn't bad. 

Torbie was great at various glamor poses.  Then she rolled around in the dirt outside, for her "playful" series of photos. 

We went to our favorite BBQ place, it's about a 20 minute ride each way but worth it.  Both Mom and Dad said I gave very good directions.  Mom loved my hair. 

Dad isn't really the type to comment on hairstyles.  Mom noticed I had lost weight, without me telling her. 

Mom of course refers to my adoptive mother, she is technically my stepmom.  However, no matter what issues I've had with her, she is a lot better than my birth mother.  She was at least there every day, did the grocery shopping, made sure I had clean clothes that fit, milk in the fridge, showed me how to shave my legs,  taught me to sew and crochet, helped with my homework, took me to dance lessons, etc. 

My birth mother mainly specialized in massive alcoholic depressions, drinking in bed all day.  When she wasn't doing that she was creating high tension dramas and uproar.   The Bible says I have to honor her but it is hard to find something to admire.  She made a very hard life for herself, didn't manage her illness, tried to drink her troubles away, and literally smoked herself to death.  She did, however, get saved before her death so at least I will see her again. 

I had a good brunch with the parents.  Dad is sick, coughing, but not horribly so.  I think the medicine is working, but I still encouraged him to go home and heal up.  That, I told him, is a lot more important than any plans we made.  I got a couple good hugs out of each of them so I'm happy.  He also "let" me give him a bottle of olive leaf capsules.  I get mine from Swanson Vitamins. 

Ron mentioned how we might go visit them for a change, and they seemed pretty receptive.  I know, and miss, some wonderful places to eat.  Ron and I also miss riding the Caltrain, a huge commuter train.  I don't think he could climb the stairs to the second level, though. 

That might be something fun to consider.  We could only stay a couple days, if that, but that would be plenty. 

They really enjoyed the restaurant, the décor, music, and food.  I ate pancakes and feel very bloated (3 pancakes with butter and cane syrup).  The employees at the restaurant were very helpful.  I was delighted they liked the restaurant so much because it's the only place we could go - they are leaving tonight. 

After brunch, we drove back home, hugged, said our goodbyes, and off they went.  Ron hadn't used the walker and commented it seemed to make them very happy to see him "walking". 

Well, no one likes to see Ron struggling.  That's why some people at work think I'm a monster, because he struggles, at times, to do his work by himself and doesn't request any help. 

After they left, I took a nap, and then we went to Walmart.  Well, we tried.  Our driver was an hour late, and then they had to adjust our pickup time.  Otherwise our ride home would have arrived at Walmart before we'd even left the house! 

We got there.  I bought the A1C blood test you do at home.  It was about $20.  I was teasing Ron he had bought me a blood sugar meter for Valentine's day.  Ron needed a patch cord, which I bought, and then I sprayed it with the no-chew bitters repellent just now.  Otherwise the cats see all cords as chew toys. 

I got meat sticks, sugarfree wintergreen candy, Dove soap (sensitive formula) - the regular soap is too drying these days.  My oily skin is turning off the tap and I am developing more of a "normal" skin type.  Breakfast bars, stevia drink mix, you get the idea. 

We had a really good ride home.  I put my stuff away, sprayed the adapter cord, and will watch yet another romantic comedy with Ron.  He likes to watch one every night now.  We have a cable provider that offers free movies on demand, including many romantic comedies.  Last night's movie was pretty awful.  Let's hope tonight's is better. 

I think Ron prefers romantic comedies because they are pretty heavy on the dialogue and easy for him to follow. 

No comments: