Monday, February 29, 2016

I have to live with myself

Today found Ron and I arguing at the bank.  I told him the teller had given us too much change.  He said he would have to count everything before he'd believe me. 

I couldn't just walk out, and Ron didn't want to count his money in the bank.  "We'll come back" he said "If it's over". 

First, we got up and got ready.  I was pretty tired this morning, and I'll blame poor, innocent Biscuit.  He gets in the bed with me and purrs so sweetly, I don't want to get up.  I roll up around him and go back to sleep.  When I go get up, I give him his "livers" or his seafood.  He got his num-num (if I do nothing, I make sure of that).  I made sure Baby Girl wasn't being a Bad Girl and stealing the whole thing.  She can be a little terrorist. 

She's probably the smallest cat in the house, but she's the meanest when it comes to num-nums.  She will claw Biscuit and hiss at him to steal the food.  If I put down two plates they don't get eaten.  So I supervise. 

I got my shower.  The welts on my leg are still pretty mad so I didn't try to shave.  This reminds me, a little, of the antidepressant reaction I had back in 2009.  I wonder if one of my medications was cross contaminated with an SSRI antidepressant.  Even a little dust could have provoked this reaction.  I am pretty nastily allergic to SSRI'S.  Ironic, really. 

Allergic to an antidepressant?  Sounds like a bad joke. 

I'm still spotting, no cycle yet.  I didn't have a headache this morning, until I took my antidepressant.  It is pretty notorious for headaches, and sure enough guess what came to visit?  That's right!  Not Fun. 

Our ride came, a driver we like.  We got to work on time.  Things had been pretty busy so I was working the whole time. 

We went to the bank and exchanged $1 for $20.  We got too much, I realized, after I walked away from the counter.  I went back to the teller and told her to double check the transaction. 

Ron and I had our "discussion" and I realized I couldn't walk out of there with the cashier short, especially that amount of money.  She'd lose her job. 

Now, from a purely selfish standpoint she is the only one I trust to do our work.  She is friendly, sweet, and always kind.  That shouldn't have mattered but it did.   At some level, I don't want to lose her. 

She called me back to her window.  I was right.  She had given us !! too much money.  I looked at Ron, still complaining.  I looked at her, she looked as though she'd been slapped.  She was very nervous and frantic. 

I did the only thing I could do.  I reached in my pocket and took out my freshly-gotten pay, gave her back the money.  Ron counted the money later and told me he guessed I was right, he had !! too much money.  I told him I had given her my money so could I please get it back? 

"Why did you do that?  We were going back." 
"You were going back.  I couldn't walk out of there knowing I had her money in my pocket." 

Ron made some comments but I'm very pleased with how I handled the situation.  The minute I realized "we" had a real problem, I brought it to her attention and we fixed it.  She clocked out today with no problems.  I have my pay.  Ron has his inventory money. 

I can't call myself a Christian and steal.  Yes, the teller made a mistake, but that doesn't mean I take advantage of that mistake. 

Now, I admit, it would have been easier to return if it had been $5.  But if, at the end of it, Ron couldn't "find" the extra money I still would have done what I did. 

I have to live with myself. 

I have to answer to God. 

Do I want to run around blabbing how much I gave back and that it happened at a bank?  No.  I just called her a "cashier" on Facebook.  I really "shouldn't" talk about it at all. 

[ Do Good to Please God ] “Take heed that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. Otherwise you have no reward from your Father in heaven."
 
That's Jesus talking.  Ah, well.  I think it's important to share moments like this in my faith walk.   We'll see what He thinks in the long run. 
 
Do you think she will remember what I did when she looks at the Bible I gave her a while back?  [grin] 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So now the teller knows that Ron is a dick. Her view and opinion of him will be forever with what happened at the bank. She may be cordial on the outside but inside will be thinking what a ____ fill in the blank. Ego is such a terrible part of the human condition. A lot of people say it is our imperfections that make us who we are, but I say bull. It is our imperfections that show our ugly side and true human nature. Sometimes I can't stand being human and living this life. I hate the truth about people and how they are. That they are only in it for What can you do for me? If you can't do something for them then they move on to someone who can.

Heather Knits said...

I'm really the only one who deals with her, although Ron said he is going to the window now.

Anonymous said...

I would have done the same thing

Anonymous said...

Ps i disagree with the other comment if he is nice next time and she is a good person? She will forgive and forget.