Sunday, February 28, 2016

The rest of my day

I called one of my cab driver buddies, who showed up quickly.  He must be working our area now. 

Either that, or (here's a horrifying image), he moved in one block over, to stalk us.  [nervous chuckle]  I hope not. 

Anyway, a good ride to the store.  I got everything on my list.  Fabric softener.  Livers for Biscuit (Sheba Chicken and Liver Pate), an organizer box for my yarn - I don't like having bags everywhere.  I also got a shower caddy to organize my implements.  It's very handy for all my crochet hooks, knitting needles, point protectors, and a pair of scissors when I get them.  If I'm doing needlework at home, it's in my chair, so I'll keep it by my chair.  My chair is near the door so it's easy to take an implement out and throw it in my travel bag.  I got myself some soda, since my cab driver assured me he'd come back (he did, in fact, he waited!).  I got 3 balls of Woolease Thick and quick for my poncho project, a pair of size 11 knitting needles, and snack foods for both of us. 

I paid, got some takeout, and called the cab driver, who came right over.  Wow. 

"You know" I told Ron "When it comes to cabs you do get what you pay for.  I would much rather 'overtip' a cab driver and get better service for it, than get a reputation as a cheap person."  That's one reason I never take a cab unless I have enough money to leave a generous tip.  A good example, a ride to Walmart is about $15.  You can bet I would never give them less than $18 for that ride.  A ride home from Walmart is nearly impossible to obtain, so that would be a $5 tip. 

Ron agrees.  When he gives me cab fare, he always gives me "enough" because he knows I will just tip the driver what I think is right, out of my own money. 

"Oh, I remember Heather.  She's the good tipper and nice."  It may be "un-necessary" and "overly generous" but I'd much rather be overly generous than overly cheap.  They do remember. 

At some point, we need to take all 4 cats, in their carriers, to the vet.  That will entail either calling a cab driver, calling Metrolift (not a fan of that), or calling our guy with the pickup truck (probably plan A).   If we can work it, though, maybe we can take Metrolift there and Lou the Cab Driver home, if we can arrange it with him ahead of time. 

A lot of times, with my cab drivers, I have to "book" it in advance.  "I'm going to need a ride tomorrow around 9, would that work for you?"  Good drivers have quite the calendar, and may don't even take trips from dispatch because they have so many of their own. 

I don't know how that works where you live.  I still see myself, on my own, as primarily a bus rider. 

Oh, and I started my cycle, or the pre-cycle spotting, I'll see when I take out the tampon.  The headache pills have kept any cramping at bay. 

I am tremendously thirsty, though.  That's just the lithium.  I thought it was funny, my last blood test showed I was overhydrated.  [laugh]  Of course, I drank half a gallon of water before the blood test. 

I got Ron's clothes moved to the dryer, and put my whites in the washer.  I read a really stupid book where the blind heroine only wore white clothes so she wouldn't clash. 

Stupid.  Ron wears black pants and solid color sweatshirts in the winter.  In the summer, if he's not working, he wears navy, charcoal gray, or black knee length knit shorts, and solid color t-shirts.  If he's working he wears long pants because his legs look terrible now.  Scary scars from the ulcers, from the massager abuse, due to the neuropathy, due to the allergic reaction, his drinking, and most likely unstable blood sugars.  Anyway, a neutral "bottom" and a solid color top.

He does not wear any khaki because he gets filthy.  I put the hammer down on that. 

He has various teal, heather green, gray, navy, black, medium blue, and other colored tops.  He doesn't have any cherry red or cobalt blue because those are gang colors, we wait outside on our ride in a gang neighborhood, and we do evangelism in gang neighborhoods.  I don't have any cobalt blue or cherry red, either. 

I wear white quarter crew socks all year, denim capris in the summer, black or denim; same colored jeans in the winter.  I wear solid color t-shirts year round.  If it gets cold I throw a jacket on top.  I work hard so a t-shirt is fine for unloading the truck, any time of year. 

Of course I wear a bra.  When I'm around certain parties, I make sure it is padded.  The rest of the time it is something simple.  With regards to undergarments I will say that yes, I do wear them, and any pervert would find them really disappointing.  [snort] 

Now that I cut my hair I don't need to pull it back, it works fine for me in any situation.  I'm really glad I cut it.  I will just have to trim it every couple of months, but I like it when someone else washes my hair.  I can honestly say I really like my hair. 

So, once I finish the whites I start the bedding.  I need to do the bedding next.  I am bad about that, I don't really remember, or notice, until I get on a manic cleaning binge. 

I am hoping it helps the hives on my leg.  Something really teed it off and I have a welt about a quarter of an inch wide, by a couple inches long.  I have been using hydrocortisone cream at home.   I'm avoiding peanuts now. 

I can run allergic to detergent additives, so I always use unscented detergent.  But I like to "hit" my finished afghans and other projects with fabric softener when I wash them before gifting.  I got something that smells nicely of tropical fruits.  I figure I can use it on Ron's bedding when I wash it tomorrow. 

I use a fair amount of unscented Tide on Ron's clothes.  It does do a good job getting out the stains. 

I use the plain All Free on my stuff, and it works fine.  I don't get filthy like Ron can.  He likes to use his clothing as a napkin.  It's funny, he had such commitment issues buying me a washer and dryer, but he has gotten most of the benefit! 

The Shout gel in the blue applicator works really good on awful stains. 

The cats are good.  I really only have one complaint, other than Torbie playing with the cat door in the middle of the night (remember it is in my bedroom): they like to roll and stretch under my foot as I'm bringing it down.  I can't tell you how many times I would have stepped on them if I hadn't been watching.  Torbie's the only one who doesn't do it. 

They don't do it with Ron because they know he will step on them.  It only takes a few times for them to get it! 

Of course, with every new cat there is always the adjustment period, Ron steps on the cat, or runs over it with the walker/wheelchair.  The cat screams, Ron feels terrible, and the cat goes sulking off into a corner.  But they learn, and they don't do it long. 

Once they get over that I think we're a pretty good place to live.  We aren't grabby, we are generous with the treats; abundant food and water, toys, playmates, cat condos, cat door - but we don't make them "outside" cats.  They can go wherever they want, I don't have any rules about furniture, the bed, the counters, or the table.  In fact, I feed them on the kitchen table.  They are all overweight at best down to outright obese, for Torbie.  I don't expect a long shelf life for an obese, elderly, cat, but we'll have fun in the meantime. 

Well, I have to get up pretty early so that's it for now. 

See you tomorrow. 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here is a cheapo simple hint and it keeps your washer spotless reduces bacteria...cheap vinegar instead of both bleach and fabric softener...i put it in both the wash and fince cycle...1/4 -1/2 cup per. I have not found the smell to last when the clothes are dry they smell fresh clean and feels soft.

I have allergies amd my allergist started me doing this to help. It has!