Friday, April 13, 2012

Worse than the actual problem

Something happened tonight that had me a little annoyed.  The guys broke the outlet cover on an outside outlet; leaving it open to the elements.  I discovered it when I went to take out some trash.  I'm pretty upset.

Straight on the heels of the thought: should I be?  What is an appropriate level of upset?  Is this an illness issue?  Am I overreacting because my medication levels are off?  Do I need to take a pill?

I swear, the self doubt and internal interrogations are worse than the actual problem!   In my case, I left a note over the outlet, saying "Can you please fix this by Monday, when it rains?  Electricity + water + my bedroom = bad!  Thank you!"  Basically I think they just need to drill a couple of holes and screw it in.  They must have REALLY yanked on the outlet to pull two screws out of the siding and tear out the screw holes!

If it was an interior outlet, I wouldn't mind.  But, it is a safety issue.  I'm shocked they hadn't already addressed it.  My neighbor has a sprinkler that could hit that outlet.

Now, the guys have probably never seen a house like mine.  It's messy.  I get that.  To them, a messy house might seem be less deserving of care than a "nice" house.   "If you don't respect your home, why should I?"

I'm certain they don't understand low energy levels and brain damage.  Who could?  Who could understand that getting up, buying some groceries, and coming home is so exhausting that I require an hours long nap?  That work for a few hours also necessitates another nap?  That I didn't even have the energy to wash my hair today, much less do dishes?

How can I produce energy out of nothing and turn that into a perfectly kept house?  Answer: I can't.  I have to accept my limitations.  Every day is a compromise on what I manage to accomplish.

I just hope they fix the outlet tomorrow in good humor.  I don't want to offend anyone, or have my house burn down.

No comments: