Tuesday, April 3, 2012

More thoughts on prepping

Being an evangelical Christian, I truly believe I will be raptured, before things hit the fan.

I have made very modest preparations for "moderate" type disasters.  I have a bug out bag.  I get 3 month refills on my medication.  I never run out of cat food.

I think it's safe to say my level of planning goes to moderate natural disasters (although I lack tarps, ladder, and duct tape), maybe a quarantine, rioting, stuff like that.  I'm really more equipped for a "bug in" situation where I stay at home for a while with Ron.

While I do believe things will get VERY bad in the future, I also believe I'll get raptured before that point arrives.  But, I have some readers who aren't saved.  What would I suggest?

That's where I'm going today.  What if you are not a born again Christian?  What would I suggest for someone facing "Tribulation" style disasters?

First - a closed mouth.  Don't talk about your "preps".  I have seen for myself, if you let people know you have anything, they will come and get it.

Two - weapons.  Get, at the very least, a shotgun and handgun.  I know very little about either.  Make sure you practice and have lots of ammo.  I have some garden tools that can double as weapons, I am comfortable with them.  I figure, worst case I might get a possum in the house but you will face far worse.

Three - water.  Store as much water as possible.  You can use empty, 2 liter soda bottles (avoid milk jugs or cleaning solution bottles), for instance.  Or you can buy one of the blue water containers and fill it up.

Four - Food.  By now you are getting hungry.  I suggest a mix of ready-to-eat, dehydrated, and home-canned foods.  One of Ron's treasures are the home-canned favorites.  All his favorite foods, cooked just the way he likes them, ready to eat at a moment's notice.  A canner is pretty cheap, less than $100.  Make sure you read the directions carefully and don't reuse the lids.  Don't forget pet food.  I keep about an extra month on hand.

Five - entertainment.  Ron has his talking books and an mp3 player.  I have my mp3 player, it runs on batteries.  I have plenty of batteries (got them at Dollar Tree).  I also have a box full of books I haven't read and my Kindle.  I am attempting to find some way to get a solar charger for the Kindle if I had to bug in for more than a few weeks, and we didn't have electricity.  I also have playing cards, dominoes, and a braille scrabble game to keep us occupied.  You can probably find plenty of entertaining items at a Dollar store.  I know I've seen some good puzzles, for instance.  I'd also suggest a Bible.  It's not boring, that's for sure.

I also imagine the Antichrist is going to make it pretty hard to buy a Bible, during the Tribulation.

Just some random thoughts.  Have a good one!

No comments: