Friday, April 6, 2012

It's always a good day for a Handout!

Today, Ron and I did another Bible handout.  I had approximately 100 Bibles, assorted.

I had about 30 leftover from my last handout, New Testaments.  I had about 60 "Whole" Bibles - I don't often do them because they are more expensive, and a lot bulkier, but they were donated.  I also had some Spanish, maybe 20 items.

OK, more than 100.

I slept horribly last night.  That often happens before a handout.

I loaded all my boxes into Ron's wheelchair and strapped them into place with bungee cords.  I hung two more bags, full of Bibles, on the back of the wheelchair.  I put on my reflective vest and got the signs, and we were good to go.

It was a warm day (upper 80's), so I drank a bottle of electrolyte stuff before I left the house.  I brought more, and a few bottles of soda, with me.

Ron often wonders aloud "Why can't they buy their own?"  Well, when I was backslidden (not living a Christian life or even talking to Him), I was scared to death of the religion section of the bookstore.  I was afraid if someone saw me over there, they would think I was a fanatic!

[That is hysterical now.]

I also realized, when I did look, that a lot of unBiblical stuff was out there.  And if I was scared to go on the "Bibles" aisle, how much more afraid of the Christian bookstore!  I thought they were a bunch of haters, and very expensive.  Boy, was I wrong.

Here's a hint, if you to the Christian bookstore, look for the "Outreach" section, or "Evangelism" Bibles - they are often extremely affordable.  I often suggest to a Bible-seeker: Pick up a few, see which one talks to you.  Take it home.  If you love it, get a nicer one eventually.

Anyway, back to the handout.  Since I had a hemiparetic, neuropathic, blind man in my care, I had to get him into his wheelchair before I handed out any Bibles (I did give one to the driver).  I unloaded all of it and set up; then put Ron in his wheelchair.  He can stand and walk for very limited distances.

Wow.  It was wild!  Tons of people, shouting for Bibles!  I handed out 10 before I even did my first walk (from the light to the last car in line to turn)!

I had gangsters (Bloods) requesting Bibles.  Querulous old men demanding Bibles.  Whole carloads of adults, each wanting a Bible.  You can bet I served them all.  

I had a couple of parents, requesting Bibles for their kids, and I was happy to do it.  I saw a very distraught woman, and I so desperately wanted to give her a Bible and a big hug.  She waved me off, though.  Please pray for her.  She was really hurting.

My favorite is the carload of gang members.  I'm an equal-opportunity evangelizer.

Speaking of, I picked up a few understudies.  Some young men showed up on bikes.  They attend a local church and are saved.  They wanted to help.  I had things pretty well in hand, but they shadowed me for a while.   They went off for a while and brought us some cold bottles of water, which I found refreshing.

They got a good grasp on the Bible Handout.  I would be thrilled if they "stole" the concept for themselves.

I also explained to them, and the guy trying to give me money, "I can't take any money or they can shut me down".  I saw plenty of police cars, and some unmarked vehicles with policemen in them.

That was, about the only bad thing.  A "suicide jockey"  (gasoline tanker truck driver) tried to give me some money and was very upset when I kept saying no.

Pretty soon - I'm out!  I told Ron to put his sign down but he didn't understand.  I took it away (laugh).

I mashed up the cardboard, put it in a public trash can (I am very careful about laws when doing a handout), got Ron, and got some fast food.

Then we came home, and mowed the yard.

No comments: