Friday, April 27, 2012

Haldol to the rescue

Ugh.  Hideous migraine.

When I woke up, with my head pounding, my immediate first thought: I can take my Haldol or my Phenergan (phenergan is about the only anti-nausea drug I tolerate).

I elected the Haldol.  I was curious.  Since it does help with nausea and vomiting (it's even prescribed for them), how would it help my migraine?

It worked pretty well.  I didn't start vomiting until about 4, and the longer I go the more I vomit.  So, the Haldol did a great job.  Initially.

According to my research they don't interact (and let me tell you I looked).  So, I tried to take a phenergan tablet.  And vomited.

Let's take a minute here to talk about migraine protocols.  For me, I usually ask Ron to make me an ice bag.  He's happy to do it.

I curl up in bed, my bucket handy (I left it in the tub).  I cannot get sick into a toilet.  It just doesn't work for me.  Even when I was a kid, I was always getting sick in sinks.  About the time I became a teenager, (you can tell I've had a lot of migraines), I got the trash can.

Once I got my own place, I went for my own, dedicated bucket.  I just have to be careful and wash it with water only, sometimes just the scent of cleaning products will make me sick again.

So, once I shut down my computer, I'll get the phenergan suppository.  I'll stick it... and wait.  Hopefully I'll fall asleep and wake up feeling better.

If not, at least I have my bucket.  

No comments: