Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An interesting life

Today I rode with a paralyzed Spanish gangbanger.  People seem to think I have an "interesting" life.

Well, if I do, a lot of it's due to the fact I don't drive.  If I could drive, I'd be in my own car, not sharing transportation with every kind of disability in the world.

This morning, it was strokes.  Ron (who had a stroke after his accident), and I rode with 2 ladies who had also had strokes.  I gave them each a Bible, well-received.  One could hardly talk but she really lit up when she saw it.

Sadly, she wasn't very old.  That's gotta be so difficult.

Praise God I was born with all my problems.  I never had a reliable brain!  I could never depend on my moods!  I never knew how I'd wake up!  I always had my learning disability and brain damage.  I've never really "lost" it, either.

My only problem:  I seem so functional no one believes I have any damage!

Ron feels the same way about his blindness.  He never really had it to lose.  It wasn't as traumatic as it would have been if he'd had a decade of driving and then woke up blind.  No, he never drove.  He remembers colored blocks at a pre-k program, but that's it.  For him, the "real" disability is the stroke.  He had the use of his right side for 47 years, and then he didn't.

So, it was a pretty average day.  I tried to be good to my fellow humans.  Rode around with some interesting people.  Handed out some Bibles, managed my business, and, had an interesting life.

No comments: