Wednesday, December 27, 2017

No photos, please

 When Ron said he wanted to stay home today (It is pretty miserably cold for Houston), I asked him not to get ugly with drink.  He got offended and said he would be fine. 

To his credit, as of 6:38 PM, he has been fine.  That's not saying much, I know, but at least I had a quiet day. 

I slept in until 9, Biscuit patiently waiting for me to wake up.  When I did get up, I fed him his tuna and he gobbled it.  I took my shower and did my God Time. 

Ron was asleep in his bed, Torbie and Baby Girl curled up with him.  It was very cute.  I wanted to take a photo but Torbie gave me a really filthy look.  So I didn't.  No photos, please. 

I tried to take a nap but wasn't very successful, then I had a nightmare.  Always tired, take a nap, have a nightmare. 

When I woke up I heard Ron bellowing into his phone, trying to find the address of the liquor store.  Chuck couldn't get him liquor for a week and Ron wanted more. 

Great.  He recruited a cab driver to go to the store, buy him a case of vodka, and bring it to the house.  The guy actually brought it to the front door, until Ron yelled at him from the garage.  Ron paid him and gave him a generous tip.  As I've said, Ron's a good tipper. 

I didn't help, as I see it, but I did make sure the cats didn't get out during the delivery process.  Ron brought two bottles into the house, on his own.  I got a little weary when I saw that but so far he is behaving.  And it's 6:56.  He's in the bedroom now, away from the alcohol. 

Boy, I remember the old days when Ron kept the vodka in his room and drank straight out of the bottle.  Bad times.  Very bad.  That's about when I signed him up for Intervention, the TV program.  And they wanted him. 

Ron's been pretty clear since I told him about it (well after the fact) that it's a good thing it didn't work out because he would have chosen the alcohol over me. 

Yet tonight he gave me a nice little speech about how I have really kept my (wedding) vows, in particular sticking around as he has deteriorated physically.  He really respects that. 

His sister in law told his brother, if (brother) were disabled to the point Ron was after the accident, she would have put him in a nursing home.  Ron's brother was quite angry that I was determined to stick around. 

Embarrassing to get that kind of insight into his marriage.  She (my sister in law) once told me she was only with Ron's brother for the pension and medical coverage.  She went out to clubs and partied every weekend with one of their (Ron and his brother's) female cousins.  She was in her early 50's.  So was the cousin. 

Since the accident, Ron has loved the fact that I am happy staying home on my day off.  Maybe a trip to Walmart but that's it. 

So, Ron got a vodka delivery - I remember a comment made by a woman at AA when I was going to Alanon meetings.  She said an alcoholic will always find a way to get alcohol.  Even a blind one in a wheelchair.  Yup. 

Ron didn't seem to be in a lot of pain today, but he had his back massager working on his legs when the cats were lying on him.  I think Torbie likes the vibration.  It's like he's purring at her. 

Biscuit got on my foot during my nap, after I had woken up, and before I went to the bathroom.  He was pretty cute. 

After I fed Biscuit dinner, he threw up on the floor.  He ate too fast.  Poor baby. 

I think that's why his first family dumped him.  Biscuit was very well socialized and thought everyone was his friend when I met him.  So they did a good job on that.  Dumping him in the woods to starve?  Barbaric.  It would have been kinder to take him to the shelter. 

He's cute, he's a good boy with the litter box, he only pukes a couple times a week.  But I suspect he puked on the wrong thing and that was it for him.  Gravy had an abscess on his tail, which healed quickly once he got some good food, so he may have been dumped for that.  Gravy was more shy with me at first but warmed up to us quickly. 

I can't help but remember all they did was eat, use the box, and sleep, for a solid week after I brought them home.  Then they began to explore and get into mischief.  They were a lot of fun.  Biscuit still is. 

I do feel funny eating biscuits now, though. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am behind on my reading due to work schedules hoping you and yours have a wonderful New Year ...at least we all need one a teensy bit better than this past! every forward dear girl
you are so amazing and your insight into life is amazing
have you ever thought of being a peer counselor? Just your adherence to your medication is so inspiring
much love and great big hugs!