Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Spanish Bible Handout

Today was my all Spanish Handout.  I thought it would be interesting, but never could I have dreamed how odd it would get. 

I had trouble getting a cab to the Handout, and one of my bungees broke loading it into the cab.  I always carry a spare, though, and I'm glad I had it. 

The driver dropped me off in the Walgreens parking lot at Airline and West road.  It was recommended to me by a driver as a good spot where a lot of latinos hang out. 

I like to have the corner to myself, so you can imagine how I felt when I found not one, but three people on my corner.  I looked at the other corners and they were just as bad.  I would have to make the best of it. 

I had window cleaner guy (I know drivers just *love* those guys), violin guy, and "guy on a cane with a bucket".  Later on, some guy showed up trying to raise money for some mission, he also had a bucket he was shoving in people's faces, for "donations". 

The violin player was very bad.  I mean, he played badly.  He wasn't making much money.   When he saw my sign (he was spanish) he asked for a Bible.  He had a large jug of amber liquid nearby and I wondered if it was urine!  I saw him chugging it later so I assume it was apple juice.  He gave up about an hour after I started.

Window cleaner guy stayed for an hour and a half.  He kept taunting the drivers with his squeegee, upsetting them.  They sure didn't want to see me coming along after that. 

Mission guy shirked his work, I hardly saw him at all. 

I mainly gave out singles, and not many at that.  I had 3 cases, I gave away a little over 2.  The Bibles were very large and heavy,  one reason I haven't brought a lot on my handouts. 

My favorite was probably the guy in the septic truck.  He looked at my sign and smiled, so I reached up a Bible to him.  He took it.  One asian appearing couple wanted Bibles.  I explained they were Spanish and the man spoke Spanish to me, so I guess he is multi-lingual.  I gave him a couple.  I gave my most to a harried young mom with 3 kids in the back.  I gave her two, one each for her and her (presumed) husband, and then "A couple of New Testaments for the kids".  That wiped out the last of the New Testaments I had. 

I really had to work to hand these out.  I guess I have gotten spoiled.  I decided that, for the future, a mixed handout will be the best, to have both english and spanish Bibles available for the recipients.  Which means I am glad I ordered those pretty New Testaments that just arrived.

I handed out a fair amount to couples, always fun, or "two people in the car so you get two" recipients.  I hate to give one Bible when there are 2 people in the car, I prefer to give two, and nearly always they accept them. 

The window washer left, crutch guy left, I was left with the belligerent man in the wheelchair across the street.  I had been there 2 hours.  I called it a day. 

I called a cab.  It is not a good neighborhood, I honestly expected to be there for a while.  I bought a snack before I called the cab.  The cab dispatcher spoke fluent English and understood my directions completely. 

That was great.  I ate a peanut butter cup.  My phone rang, it was the cab computer telling me my ride was outside.  I looked to the side, to see a cab pulling into the parking lot! 

I waited maybe 2 minutes.  Not only that, he's a guy Ron and I call "The Angel".  He is a really nice man and very helpful. 

We had a great ride home and I finished my snack sitting in my chair (after I fed the cat, of course). 

For my next Handout, I would like to go back to Desoto and Antoine, but I need to find out if they are done with the roadwork.    I'll get there. 

Please pray for the recipients! 

1 comment:

Spankadoo said...

I am so glad to read your posts when you are happy doing your work much love and encouragement to keep filling up your bucket !