Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Donut shop Handout

Today was interesting.  I had to go by myself, Ron didn't feel well.  He did give me money for the cab, though. 

I called the cab, and waited.  And waited some more.  Ron called to see what was going on, and, yet again, when the cab showed up it had a "wheelchair" trip on the computer. 

The cab driver was a very nice Vietnamese man we have seen before.  We like him a lot. 

He took me to the location.  I was delighted to find a little ramp bridging the space between the far corner of the parking lot, and the street corner. 

I got set up and went to work.  I decided to hand out my heaviest Bibles just in case I didn't move them all.  It happens.  I *hate* going home with Bibles but sometimes it just doesn't happen. 

On my way there, I saw the remnants of drywall that had been cast to the curb after flood damage.  I was definitely working an "affected" neighborhood. 

The median was delightful.  It had even been recently mowed, the ground was level, etc.  It was very easy to travel back and forth.  Traffic was good, lots of people, and a really long red light so people had time to think about getting a Bible. 

I brought 2 cases of Bibles plus extras.  I had a case of whole Bibles, about 30-some, and a case of NKJV New Testaments.  About the New Testaments: I bought them with my own money back when Biblica was having a massive clearance sale on their stock.  As I mentioned before, I bought many cases and this was one of my last ones. 

I got started.  My first recipient was a lady with a shaved head, covered in tattoos, she asked "Do I get a Bible?".  Sometimes people who may not look so desirable will ask that question, I always smile and say of course you do. 

Most of the recipients were pretty unremarkable.  I had one lady walk over from somewhere, I don't know how she saw the sign, but she asked for one.  The most I gave out at any one point was 3.  I could have done more Spanish, especially if I translate the Free Bibles sign to Spanish. 

I got a couple bus drivers, of all things.  They were very happy to get their Bibles. 

I had some friends in cars, wanting Bibles.  I didn't have anyone laugh at me but I got a few glares.  I felt totally safe.  I handed out the Bibles at a slow and steady trickle, until I got to the end of the whole Bibles. 

I hit a sudden brick wall, and was "Lucky" to pass out about 7 New Testaments (my extra) in the next 45 minutes. 

It was 6 PM.  I had been working about 2 hours.  I called it a night.  But not before I gave a few to a lady who was absolutely delighted when I refused the cash offering and gave her Bibles with a promise to pray for her daily. 

I did get a few thumbs up from people driving east (the opposite direction) so they saw my sign too. 

After I finished, I went to the donut shop.  Like I said, I felt totally safe while working.  But I tried to open the door to the donut shop and he had to let me in.  I guess they have to be careful about who enters the store.  I bought a giant apple fritter half the size of Torbie (my cat) and ate that while waiting on a cab. 

Ron called Mike to come pick me up.  Mike is the driver who mentioned wanting Bibles to hand out from his cab. I looked at my untouched case of 50 NKJV New Testaments.    The ones I paid for with my own money.  So, they're "mine".  I can do what I want with them. 

I gave them to Mike, along with a generous tip.  He said he liked them so much he was going to keep one for himself.  Good.  I told him where to buy more (Lifeway) when he is ready. 

Once I finish this I'm going to bed.  It's been a long day

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

God bless you. Wish I had the courage to do it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for handing out your fake propaganda books on street corners. Since most Americans identify as christian you would think this wonderful country of ours would be full of the most wonderful, thoughtful, selfless people you would find. However the opposite is true here and everywhere else. Religion is an infection that needs a serious dose of actual spirituality to cure it. The bible is NOT the word of god. Same goes for ALL the other religions and religious books out there. Just pure nonsense.

Heather Knits said...

To "Courage", it helps being "crazy". I am a natural extrovert anyway so I enjoy it.

To the atheist, I guess. I only give Bibles to people who want them. If the Bible is worthless why are you so threatened by what I do? If people don't find any value in the Bible they will get rid of it. If, however, it is the inspired Word of God, and has the power to change lives, then I guess you *would* be pretty threatened.

Anonymous said...

You asked: "If the Bible is worthless why are you so threatened by what I do?"

Because you act like you are doing something that is of substance when you are peddling a book of fiction and lies. And yes most people who took that bible will just leave it sitting on a table somewhere unopened and unread. The fact that the human mind is gullible and can be convinced of anything (i.e. the placebo effect) is NO proof that your book is inspired by god or the actual word of god. In fact it is safe to assume that god (if he cared) would be pretty offended by the trite nonsense attributed to him in not only the bible but ALL religious texts.

Heather Knits said...

I'll be praying for you. Ron always says people don't like God/the Bible because, if they believed, they would have to stop sinning. That there is a particular sin in their lives they don't want to give up.

I don't know about that but it sounds valid to me. And, yes, I know Ron is in bondage to alcohol. God still uses him.

Anonymous said...

"Ron always says people don't like God/the Bible because, if they believed, they would have to stop sinning. That there is a particular sin in their lives they don't want to give up."

YEAH OK that comment coming from a drunk verbally abusive and potentially physically abusive person makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

"God still uses him." For what? To abuse you and make your life worse than it has to be? Give me a break. Make 1000 excuses for why god doesn't help Ron and they will always be just that, excuses. God can't help anyone because in the capacity your bible describes him as he does not exist. Not to say there is no source or spirit it is just not what christians and all other religions depict their god as.

Not to mention in your very bible jesus says ask anything in my name it and shall be given. YET - we know full well that it not true. Now give me a thousand reasons and excuses as to why jesus is a liar and that statement he made is not true.

Anonymous said...

" Ron always says people don't like God/the Bible because, if they believed, they would have to stop sinning. " SO are you saying Ron is NOT a believer?

Spankadoo said...

Wow Heather you stirred some shit up with I that one LOL! Much love your way!

Anonymous said...

If the bible was read in context people would know what Jesus meant.

Anonymous said...

If the bible was read in context people would know what Jesus meant.

Anonymous said...

"If the bible was read in context people would know what Jesus meant." Whose context? After all we are told over and over sinful man cannot possibly understand gods ways and his motives. SO how can a sinful man know what god intended?